Existing Member?

Itchy Feet "I am going because I would have no peace if I stayed" - Donald Crowhurst.

To Wander. To wonder. Encounters.

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 22 July 2015 | Views [325]

A cacophony of cockatoos started up at dawn in the tree right above us.  We’d seen them last night peeping out from their hollows.  After a big breakfast, we set off to see some Australian Historical Landmarks – the explorer Wills’ grave – of the Burke and Wills Expedition - and the site where King was found & rescued by Aboriginal people.  We also drove to the famous Dig Tree - one of Australia’s national icons.

 

Heading out of Innamincka, I jumped in Dad’s vehicle and Dan and Dave drove off in front, into a flat land of nothingness.  Suddenly, two road signs.  One saying Encounter One, the other a few kilometres further on saying Encounter Two.  Out here with nothing around for miles and miles we just assumed they must be UFO encounters.  They were not marked on maps and I couldn’t find anything on the internet, so what were these signs and what did they mean?  (Cue Twilight Zone theme music).

 

Big blue sky above

Driving on the fine red dust

Brown landscape changing.

 

In Barcoo Country we travelled for several hours without seeing any other life forms.  No wildlife, not even birds.  Suddenly a handful of cows which must have belonged to Arrabury Station.  They were so far from anywhere and any water or so it seemed.  For us semi-city folk, it is hard to understand how someone can own a cattle station of thousands of square kilometres that is unfenced and have cows that just wander.  The earth was as flat as a pancake and in every direction you looked there was not even a tree, let alone a dwelling.  How far had these cattle come?  And from which direction?

 

We drove over two large fine red sand dunes to reach Haddon Corner, the outback point where two states meet: South Australia and Queensland.  The outback night sky treated us to a falling star and satellites moving horizontally in the velvety blackness.

Cattle from the unfenced cattle station.

Cattle from the unfenced cattle station.

Tags: haddon corner

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.