Existing Member?

Itchy Feet "I am going because I would have no peace if I stayed" - Donald Crowhurst.

Bukit Lawang

INDONESIA | Sunday, 18 July 2010 | Views [1072] | Comments [2]

We were shown to our 2 storey bamboo hut in Bukit Lawang, threw our backpacks on the floor & stood on the balcony looking across the river to the jungle.  Within seconds Dave spotted swaying trees & suddenly an orange arm appeared.  An orangutan right across the river from our room!  He started climbing down the tree trunk & i said "I think he's going to the river for a drink", so we locked the door and ran down to the water.  He sat on a rock drinking from the river with about 18 monkeys (long tailed macaques) scampering around him.  The river was only about 10metres wide & there he was.  It was so surreal for us.  We had only JUST arrived!  We just sat there in the middle of our very own nature doco, drinking it up.  When he disappeared back into the forest, we walked back up the world's dodgiest staircase to our room for a mandi.  We opened the door and THERE WERE 6 MONKEYS IN OUR ROOM!!!!!

Tags: bukit lawang, indonesia, long tailed macaque, macaque, orangutan, sumatra

Comments

1

Loved the Bukit Lawang episode. Want to know what happened next. Did a trip up there in 1976 (!!) Good to hear the jungle still exists

  georgie Jul 20, 2010 1:52 PM

2

Wow George. 1976. That must've been when you came to visit us in Sulawesi. You must've seen a very different BL with even more jungle! I would love to see a photo or 2 if you have any. Were cameras even invented then? ;)

  adventurers Aug 3, 2010 4:37 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.