Existing Member?

Itchy Feet "I am going because I would have no peace if I stayed" - Donald Crowhurst.

SMILE FOR THE PAPARAZZI

INDONESIA | Friday, 15 August 2014 | Views [472]

Day 15.  Medan.  Had a pretty lazy day inside shopping centres in the cool today.  We went to Sun Plaza & Palladium Plaza & the cinema and saw Teenage Ninja Turtles 4.  It was….as you would expect it to be.  The audience is really funny & different to a cinema audience at home.  They laugh so loudly at the jokes and yell things at the actors on screen.

The red traffic lights in Medan have a countdown to when they will turn green, starting from 40.   Five, four, three, two, one GO!  While we were sitting in traffic, a one-legged beggar in dirty rags shuffled into the road on his hands and bum begging from the cars.

We have our photos taken by a lot of stunned Indonesians, mostly teenagers.  They see us, have a look of shock & surprise on their faces, grab their friend’s arm and point at us.  Some are blatant and just snap a photo of us.  A lot of them will chat to us first and then ask to take a picture.  The funniest people are the ones who pretend they are not taking a photo of us and position their phone under their arm, trying to hide it and then take a picture & quickly walk away, with a second glance at us over their shoulder.  We always smile and wave.  For 15 days now we have had our photo taken dozens of times a day.  We think it’s quite funny because it’s pretty novel to us.  But imagine being a celebrity and enduring the paparazzi for years….  

Tags: bule, medan, paparazzi, plaza, sumatra

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.