Existing Member?

Graham Williams & Louise Jones Travel Blog This is our journal logging our trip through Central and Latin America from July 2005 to the present date. We update it and add new pictures every two to three weeks. At the moment Will is travelling in South Africa, while Lou is living in Buenos Aires.For more background reading on our travels go to - http://journals.worldnomads.com/will/

Northern Mexico

MEXICO | Thursday, 7 July 2005 | Views [1285]

At the beginning of last week we crossed the border into Mexico, at Tijuana, and then spent a couple of days on the coast of the Baha Peninsula, sampling Mexican food and trying out our Spanish.
We then headed down the Pacific coast, staying at Guaymas and Mazatlan on the way, the latter with a busy local old town where we stayed. We also swam in the lovely warm sea.
Yesterday we took a 6 hour stomach churning, but scenically beautiful, bus ride up into the Sierra Madre mountains to reach the 400 year old colonial city of Durango.  This elegant city feels almost European and has a baroque cathedral and many grand old palaces and mansions, one of which we are staying in.
The city is nearly 2000m high and has intense clear light, one of the reasons why the area was used to film Hollywood Westerns in the 1950s and 60s.  Tomorrow we plan to visit one of the filmsets.
All the Mexicans weve met so far have been friendly and helpful and the atmosphere is relaxed and laid back.  Some of the best food we have had has been at small cafes and stalls on the street: spicy tacos followed by fresh tropical fruit.

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.