Existing Member?

Graham Williams & Louise Jones Travel Blog This is our journal logging our trip through Central and Latin America from July 2005 to the present date. We update it and add new pictures every two to three weeks. At the moment Will is travelling in South Africa, while Lou is living in Buenos Aires.For more background reading on our travels go to - http://journals.worldnomads.com/will/

Colonial Mexico

MEXICO | Thursday, 14 July 2005 | Views [678]

Over the last week weve been travelling between the towns founded by the Spanish, nearly all based where the silver mines were. They all have some beautiful buildings built in the Spanish style, usually centered around plant and flower filled courtyards. In many places one could almost be back in Europe.
The towns are very lively, in Zacatecus a competition for military and brass bands was on, and they were playing in the streets until Midnight. These towns are big tourist destinations for Mexicans and they live on the streets. So people are wandering around having a good time until very late.
We are also now back on the tourist/backpacker trail, and its been good to talk to people, most of whom have come up from the south, where we are heading.
The distances weve been travelling have been much shorter but its obvious that Mexico is a big, empty place which in this region is pretty but rocky and barren. To while away the jouneys the bus companies show straight to video action movies with stars youve never heard of, with good reason.
We are now in San  Miguel de Allende, a very beautiful and colourful town which is an American enclave, particularly for the retired, so there are real estate agents on every corner. The upside is that there are some great places to eat and you will always get a decent cup of coffee. Next week, a complete contrast, we are heading for Mexico City.

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.