Existing Member?

i carry your heart with me it's not about being impressed; it's about being captivated...

Brazilians are wonderful people

BRAZIL | Friday, 20 July 2007 | Views [596]

Today I went to horse eventing.  It was not very eventful, though.  I certainly thought I was in for a bit more excitement than simply changes gaits, leads, and directions.  Beautiful animals in any case.  Most of the riders were from the US, Canada, Argentina, and Brazil.  The Chile entry I would have seen rode into the ring and withdrew from the competition; Uruguay was up right before I left; and I think Jamaica was coming toward the ring.  Oh, and the only female riders I noticed were from the US.  It is interesting to sit back and compare countries from such a perspective.

Anyway, about the amazing people in this country - they are so freakin´ helpful!!  I didn´t know where I was going (I had a map and would have gotten there eventually) and I don´t speak the language, but they take such good care of me - they even hand me off to the police and they make sure I get the right train stop.  They track me down if I am headed in the wrong direction (I was wandering around to familiarize myself because I had time).  They also make a point to find English speaking PanAm volunteers, even though I don´t need any further assistance at that point. 

It was a bit un-nerving to have so many locals so surprised that I was traveling alone in Rio.  They told me to be very very careful.  And I certainly realize that the places I was traveling were almost places that I wouldn´t want to go alone even in a place I was familiar with.  Guardian angels have certainly been with me this week.  Every place I have gone the past few days I ran into wonderful people of this country who went out of their way to make sure I was safe and where I needed to be. 

My final PanAm event was the US women´s basketball team stomping Columbia.  I think the final score was 95 to 41.  And the crowd actually cheered for the US instead of boo-ing.   

Tomorrow is it.  It feels strange to be leaving this amazing place.  Time has flown by, and many many special memories are in my heart from these past two months.  I recommend such an adventure to you all.  Visit several places.  Travel alone a little bit.  Use public transportation. 

Tags: according to locals

About wandorion


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.