Existing Member?

i carry your heart with me it's not about being impressed; it's about being captivated...

cheer for your team

BRAZIL | Monday, 16 July 2007 | Views [692] | Comments [1]

There is nothing quite like cheering for your team at an international sporting event.  Tonight I watched Cuba handle the US women´s volleyball team at the 15th PanAmerican Games in Rio.  It would have been much better if we had won (we lost 16-25, 23-25, 15-25), but it was still an amazing experience to have that home pride come out in such a venue. 

There were maybe three other people clapping for the US.  There were a lot of boos in our direction.  I wish I had an American flag with me to wave!  There were Cuban flags throughout the arena.  I´ve done high school sports, and college sports, and cheered for the away team at professional competitions - but nothing came compare to the international level.  It is beyond words and something everyone must try to experience...

The Domincan Republic had wasted Peru in their first game, and then I left with some other people from my hostel who I happened to run into at the game.  They are Brazilian.  Amazing population indeed.

And to add why I think the US lost:  blocking.  Cuba did, we didn´t.  That put us on our heals and off-balance the whole match.  Also, and connected to that lack of center, the US hitters did not utilize line shots.  I think that would have made it more difficult for Cuba to get all those blocks.  But instead our hitters hit right into them.  US #3 played very well.  #2 was slow getting to the block and thus often seemed to not get a good seal on the net; several points to Cuba for balls flying off her hands at unplayable angles.  #6 had her good moments, as did #18, but the team in general seemed to never have gotten beyond the point of just showing up.  It almost seemed like they were suprised by Cuba not laying down for them, and that then it was all over too quickly for them to adjust and play their game.  At least I got to watch them, and of course I wish they had won. 

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

Hey sis

That sounds awesome. Can I come with you next time? Who were the US players? Were they college players, have you heard any of the names before? Sounds amazing . . . glad you were one of the three people cheering for the red, white and blue. Can't wait to see you on Sunday. Be safe. LUV-L

  Laura Varga Jul 18, 2007 1:50 AM

About wandorion


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.