Existing Member?

i carry your heart with me it's not about being impressed; it's about being captivated...

Prof. Giacalone - economics

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 24 May 2007 | Views [504] | Comments [1]

Today we finished our classes with Professor Rita Giacalone.  She is a petite and sharp woman from Venezuela; cute and precise.  She would say things like ¨Calm down.  You can go and eat.  Just don´t talk.¨  And she said it in accented English carrying a crisp air of confidence.  It was enjoyable to listen to her, even for four hours straight.

 

Her lectures pertained to economic partnerships of international trade: preferential trade agreements, free trade agreements, customs unions, and common markets.  We discussed GATT, NAFTA, G-3, CAN, SACN, MERCOSUR.  I think I´m missing a couple from this list.  When I have my class notes with me at a computer, I will fill in a bit as far as what I learned... 

 

It was quite interesting, partly because I haven´t taken any economics courses.  This a pretty neat level to learn a subject. 

 

 

Then this afternoon I ventured down into one of the shopping areas.  It wasn´t all that much fun for me – I´m going to have to wait for the weekend to browse the flea markets and street vendors.  I prefer the more cultural products as opposed to the more commercial ones. 

Plus, the clothes here don´t really seem to fit me.  I don´t think I´m all that big, but this is a much more petite culture than the US.  Then again, maybe it´s just because of the style differences and also that they don´t label a lot of the stuff with a size.  Anyway, I don´t want to buy much as far as clothes.    

Now I am off to do some studying and just chill around the hotel.  Tonight is the women´s volleyball match - which I am absolutely looking forward to! 

Tags: updates

Comments

1

For your info Sharon NAFTA was good for some US Industry but not for the cattle as it gave a lot of competition and held our prices down but other agri industries fared much better....Now with corn being used for ethanol fuel the price of corn has gone up substantially so one can't afford to buy corn for feed which may hold down the production of cattle...Then the price will eventually jump up to a decent level...No matter for use as we are out of it now...Dad

  Dad May 29, 2007 2:31 AM

About wandorion


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.