Existing Member?

i carry your heart with me it's not about being impressed; it's about being captivated...

Turtle power!

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 19 May 2007 | Views [643] | Comments [1]

Ha!  Yeah, I got a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle at McDonald´s here.  That was my happy purchase yesterday.  The meal I split with three friends because none of us really wanted the food.  It was much less greasy than in the States, but the fries were rubbery.  I don´t think they use Idaho potatoes ;)

I have labeled this under ´culture´for the irony of it.  I don´t think last night was culture, I think it was tourist crap.  That´s where our travel agent recommended.  Poop on that, I want the real thing!  So it is very good that I am meeting up with Lucia today - I think I will much enjoy the local perspective on life here. 

The streets are super super grubby.  Makes my proud of New Orleans - at least they care about their city.  Here people get off the bus and just throw their garbage on the sidewalk.  AND I stepped in dog doo TWICE even before lunch today.  Yuck.

(Yeah, these entries are going to be choppy - but I want to keep you all updated at least somewhat.  I´ll try to edit them later...)

I´m hanging out with the South Dakota students and an Indiana student who is actually from Missouri.  Good people.  We went to a bar last night and played some pool.  I actually had a couple really good shots (on the pool table, not drinks) - figured it was because I was drinking wine.  I´ve never tried pool with wine before.  Then we ended up at some Pirate bar with techno music.  Oh, yeah, I loved it (note the sarcasm).  We didn´t get into any dancing, which was disappointing.  I think we just don´t know where to be yet, and Lucia will probably fill me in on that today...  I have to do at least one Tango lesson before I leave!

There are security / cops all over this city.  I don´t know if that´s a sign of safety or of crime, but I feel comfortable.  They just seem a bit overwhelming in number.  I guess it´s a good thing. 

The study involvements continue to be awesome.  We are meetings lots of people and making lots of connections.  And the reading material is actually very interesting (though I don´t like carrying that big book around the city with me).   

I am remembering more and more of the Spanish I sort of once learned.  It is a lot of fun, and I hope that I keep picking it up quickly throughout the trip.  (One of these blogs will eventually be in Spanish!)  Anyway, I am going to go for now and see what I can see.

_ _ _ _ _ _

Today we walked around the city more.  The people out were more enjoyable than what we encountered last night.  There was just more in general I guess (whatever I mean by that!).  We visited the Casa Rosada (their version of the White House), saw other gov´nt buildings, and went into the cathedral - beautiful (Mom, I got pictures for you). 

Then I took the subway.  For some reason that always makes me happy in new places.  I think it has to do with actually mingling with real locals.  It´s refreshing.  I am also my myself now.  I think that helps me enjoy the sightseeing more, too.  Otherwise it´s so much hurry up and wait, especially since I don´t know any of these people in my program.  It´s more carefree when it´s just me;) 

Now, I am near the zoo.  Barney is everywhere - yeah, that big purple dinosaur can be a scary kind of `guy`.  I meeting up with Lucia here in about 25 minutes - hopefully we can find each other the crowd...  will be fun! 

abrazos (hugs)

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Hey Sharon

I went to Tim Tarry's tonight and saw Tim, Pete, Casey, Geoff, Anna, Marie, Jess, Stoufie, etc., etc.

They all said hi and Casey told me to go to skype.com and check it out . . . it is close to free and it is also a service that allows you to talk through the computer to people all over the world. So, if we all check it out and maybe get accounts, she said that it is like 7 cents per minute or less. Mom and dad (and me)would be so excited if we could talk to you for that rate.
Otherwise, I am glad you are having fun and seeing sites, making connections, etc. I knew it was just a matter of time before you got out on your own and really started enjoying yourself. But, I am still waiting to hear about you blocking some guys in volleyball. Well, gotta run. I have my last portion of the test tomorrow and I need sleep. Miss u and take care of u. (I carry your heart with Me) luv-L

  Laura Varga May 20, 2007 1:04 PM

About wandorion


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.