Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Bienvenido a Argentina

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 8 November 2012 | Views [904]

Obelisk at Republica Square

Obelisk at Republica Square

Argentina doesn't charge Americans for a visa.  But they do have a $130 "reciprocal" charge, good for multiple visits over ten years.  Whatever!  After fourteen hours in the air it was good to have our feet on the ground again.  A $40 cab ride got us to Hotel Centuria in Buenos Aires' upscale Microcentro, where the room, as expected, wasn't ready.  Hell, it was only 7:30 in the morning.

dog

         Early morning dog-walkers

After an Egg McMuffin and a coffee we hit the streets.  Walking around in the sun is supposed to be the perfect antidote to jeg-lag and we had a few errands to attend to.  Connie needed a bird guide to Argentina and we wanted to find a travel agent to help us plan our route to Ushuaia next week. The first thing we discovered is that the official tourist map of BA is "screwjawed" 90 degrees counter-clockwise; north is where west should be and it's not a southern hemisphere thing.  We were on the right street but seemed always to be heading in the wrong direction.  No bird guide yet but we did spend an enjoyable hour making notes from travel guides in a bookstore that was formerly a wonderful theater.

First impressions shouldn't be made when tired and stressed, when you're not sure exactly what country you're in, so we'll hold off for now.  Let's just say that Buenos Aires is hot, humid and crowded.

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.