Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Gnomes of Wrocław

POLAND | Thursday, 1 November 2012 | Views [2686]

"Aleck the Traveler," dwarf of Old Town Wroclaw

What does one do in Wrocław on a cold and rainy All Saints Day when nearly everything is closed?  Why search for gnomes, of course!  They aren’t hard to find once you get the hang of it, even easier today in the deserted square. 

    Town Square was empty except for the gnomes

Gnomes have been mascots of Wrocław (pronounced “vro-walve” – the funny-looking “ł” sounds like “w”) since the 80s when they were symbols of the 'Orange Alternative' – an underground protest movement that used absurdity and nonsense to stage peaceful, yet subversive, protests. 

gn

    Rolling Gnomes in the Rain

Thirty-two bronze gnomes were installed by the City Council and they became so popular that local businesses began commissioning local artists to produce more.  Most have unpronounceable names but you can call them what you want, like the “Ice Cream Gnome” and “Pizza Hut Gnome.”

p

        Well-fed gnome outside Pizza Hut

Some of the original gnomes began to “wander,” aided by emboldened collectors.  Now each new gnome has a GPS device imbedded inside.  Today there are around 180 of the little guys.  We found only about 35, my favorite, understandably, is “Aleck the Traveler.”

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.