Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Outside Old Town Tallinn: KUMU, The Estonian Art Museum

ESTONIA | Saturday, 29 September 2012 | Views [2299]

Kadroirg Palace, built by Peter the Great for Catherine the Great

Kadroirg Palace, built by Peter the Great for Catherine the Great

There is more to Tallinn than just the Old Town.  Even Peter the Great realized that when he built a palace for his main squeeze, Catherine, also the Great, in Kadroig.  So does the president of Estonia, who lives in the Kadroig neighborhood today.  They surely traveled in grander style than we, but it was a nice walk.  Kadroig Palace is now a museum, under renovation until January, and not up to the standards of his places in St. Pete.  The garden was lovely on this sunny autumn Saturday, even if the roses were long past there due date.

KUMU, the Estonian Art Museum, certainly makes a statement, very different from that of the palace and the Old Town.  It is a multi-leveled, curved glass edifice, perfectly suited for  modern art.  

     KUMU

   I still don't get it!

KUMU houses more than just experimental art that, frankly, I just don't get it; even with the critic's explanation.  Just so much BS!  Nor do I want to.  The art from the Soviet occupation is more to my liking, at least I can interpret its meaning.  

   "Approved" Art of the Soviet occupation

Artists who didn't conform to Soviet standards either changed occupations or were sent to Siberia for "re-education."  But when they returned to a less censorious society, they quickly caught up with the trends of the day.  There were actually several artists whose work I enjoyed and others who painted (in their own style) scenes I could recognize from around Tallinn.

     Modern view of the Old Town

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Estonia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.