Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Old Town Tallinn

ESTONIA | Friday, 28 September 2012 | Views [695]

You are never out of sight of Town Hall, the oldest in N. Europe

You are never out of sight of Town Hall, the oldest in N. Europe

Tallinn is the newest "gem" of European tourism, a true medieval walled city, a bit  reminiscent of Dubrovnik.  It has been a trading city since the XIIIth Century when it became a member of the Hanseatic League.  Over the centuries it has been ruled by Sweden, Russia, USSR (twice) and Germany.

      "Three Sisters," Merchant homes

Olevi Residence, a 14th Century hotel, is on the edge of the Old Town, just beyond the reach of the tour groups.  The town has been pretty much ours alone in the early morning hours before the Helsinki ferry arrives.  We have walked in the rain along the worn, cobbled streets, marveling at the merchants' homes, churches, medieval walls and towers and Town Hall, visible from almost everywhere.  Shops seem to lean towards woolen sweaters and jade jewelry, with enough bakeries and coffee shops to feed the masses.  In truth, except for Saturday, there weren't all that many tourists about.

Tallinn is target rich for photographers, even with the dreary weather.  My Sigma lens, less than a year old, is on its last legs.  I am nursing it along until we get to Germany where I have had a new Canon lens shipped.  Hope it makes it.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Estonia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.