Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

You're Listening to the BBC

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 2 August 2012 | Views [881]

BBC, Better Broadcasting Company

BBC, Better Broadcasting Company

As jingoistic as American television treats the Olympics with scenes of flag-wearing spectators chanting "USA, USA," watching the coverage on any of the BBC TV channels makes the Americans commentators seem positively neutral.  Sure, the British are the home team.  And they have every right to cheer on Team GeeBee.  It just seems wrong for the announcer to interrupt her own play-by-play with, "Oh, please go, Jenny," or "Well done, Justin!" in the middle of the event.  And no matter how low the local hero or heroine is ranked, a medal for Team BeeGee is always a given.  Even when one of the competitors says she is happy with her Bronze Medal the announcers apologize for the athlete's poor performance.  Sometimes it seems as if only the British are competing.  In the men's long jump only the attempts of two Brits and one American were broadcast.  I still don't know who got the Silver Medal!  Only in closing did they even mention that cheeky Yank, that Phelps chap, who did something or other.

BBC Four Radio, on the other hand, is spectacular.  We have been listening to hour-long podcasts of a series called "In Our Time."  Two or three authors and academicians discuss, sometimes passionately, topics from philosophy and history.  It's a lot like auditing classes at Cambridge or Oxford where many of the participants teach.  We've learned so much and it's interesting to be able to put a place together with the places they talk about.  Check out the BBC website; you won't be disappointed and you might learn something.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.