Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Quintessentially England

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 31 July 2012 | Views [974]

Canterbury Cathedral

Canterbury Cathedral

An easy day trip from London, the southeast is what Americans come to see, the quintessential English countryside.  It's an area of wonderful green landscapes, formal gardens, Leeds Castle, the White Cliffs of Dover and Hastings where, William started it all.  We decided to spend a few days at Durrant B&B in High Halden and wander outward from there.

And Canterbury, destination of Chaucer's tale-telling pilgrims, is an easy drive, especially if you take advantage of the Park and Ride.  For two pounds fifty you both parking and free bus transport into town for up to six people. Canterbury is a wonderful place to walk around with upscale shops and Medieval buildings, not the least of which is Canterbury Cathedral, home to the Archbishop of Canterbury, a title that is older than even the monarchy.  The first Archbishop was St. Augustine whose abbey, or at least the ruins, are a short walk from town.  And don't skip St. Martins Church, the oldest in England.

    No Bluebirds today

There were no bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover on the day we visited but at least it didn't rain.  I'm sure my father (and many other WW II flyers) welcomed the view as he navigated his shot-up B-17 across the Channel, one mission nearer to going home.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.