Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Easter Camping at Margaret River

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 6 April 2012 | Views [1072]

At least the olives were pretty good, Margaret River

At least the olives were pretty good, Margaret River

For two days at Yallingup the strong wind blew rain and salt spray into camp from the crashing surf.  The booming of the waves actually shook the van at times.  So it was a real treat to drive back to Margaret River and the Gracetown Caravan Park under cool but sunny skies.

This time we had a chance to do some of the things other tourists to the area do; a little hiking, some food shopping and some wine tasting.  We probably shouldn’t “dis” the wines too much - Margaret River has been a wine producing area for less than 15 years – but with the prices they charge you would think you are in France or Napa.  Besides, our last wine tasting was at Montalcino in Italy where one bottle of their famous “Brunello” was priced at 1500 euros!  Laurance Vineyards offers a dozen different wines, the thought obviously that with so many they may get one right!   

Though the wines may not be very good they have gone to great lengths describe them in the most flowery terms; "mascerated cherries," "tobacco leaf," and, honest to god, "graphite."  After all, the wine is made from grapes, isn't it?  Perhaps my nose and palette aren't up to detecting such subtleties.  If you want a hint of mulberry, why not just add a bit to the final mixture.  I'm just saying.  The olives, however, were tasty. 

Back at camp, the Easter crowds kept pouring in.  There were a few oldsters in their caravans but most were young families in multi-room tents.  Often three or four families camped together, each with a giant tent and a separate gazebo and several also had boats.  When we awoke we were surrounded by an entire community.  And before they leave they will reserve the same sites for next Easter.  We were lucky to get a spot at all.

It was a hoot watching the kids this morning.  They assembled around 7:00 at the big tree at the camp kitchen, apparently by some form of kid mental telepathy.  They all wore superhero PJs and immediately joined in a game whose rules they all understood and whose boundaries spared no one.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.