Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Manta Rays of Ningaloo Reef

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 16 March 2012 | Views [1679]

"Devil fish" aka Manta Ray, Ningaloo Reef

I expected Coral Bay, just a bit north of the Tropic of Capricorn, to be a glitzy resort town.  It is, after all, the entry point to Ningaloo Reef, one of the newest World Heritage sites and, if you believe everyone in Western Australia, better than its big sister in Queensland, the Great Barrier Reef.  But Coral Bay, the town, is 200 meters of sandy street that ends abruptly just past the hostel, a few shops, five tour operators and two campgrounds, a jewel not yet “discovered.”

Whale sharks, the big attraction, are just beginning to arrive.  Finding them at this time of year is hardly a sure thing and definitely a major investment so we decided to seek more predictable targets.  The resident population of manta rays is thriving.  There are too many species of fish on the reef to identify.  Green sea turtles pop their heads above the waves while bottlenose dolphins splash through the crystal clear water.  Hammerheads cruise through the shallows while reef sharks line up at “cleaning stations” where wrasses swim into their gill slits eating parasites and clean bits of food from the shark’s mouth, undaunted by the sharp teeth.  Diving terns appear blue and green as the turquoise water reflects off their snowy bellies.

We saw it all today on a five-hour snorkeling trip; a kaleidoscope of flashing neon tropical fish, schools of dolphins, turtles, sharks and a chance to swim with mantas as they barrel-rolled through clouds of plankton and coral spawn, their favorite meal.  The cost included all gear, snacks, lunch and the use of a spotter plane, essential to find the mantas.

The boat can hold 34 people but we were only twelve, plus five crew.  A few of the European girls were getting “green around the gills” despite the relative calm.  Kate, the lead swimmer and photographer, must be part mermaid.  Watching her free dive was almost as fascinating as watching the mantas and trying to keep up with her as we perused the mantas was next to impossible.

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.