Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Lady of the Flies

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 13 March 2012 | Views [855]

Lady of Flies

Lady of Flies

There isn’t much to see north of Cervantes on the Indian Ocean Highway except the Australian version of wheat farms and infrequent glimpses of the ocean.  Connie’s constant vigil for birds provided the only diversion; a black kite, a brown goshawk and a Nanking kestrel.

We spent a night in Geraldton, a natural stopping point on the long drive north, at a Big 4 campground, the ones we found so wonderful on our last camping outing in Oz.  Big Disappointment is more like it.  Internet access is $10/hour so there is no knowing when this will get posted.  But I did manage a swim in the Indian Ocean.

Roadhouses spaced every 100 or so kilometers make the drive, if not enjoyable, at least doable towards the Coral Coast, four hundred seventy-five table-flat, ruler-straight kilometers distant.  Most people associate Australia with kangaroos, or those cute koalas.  But the most prolific animals here, maybe 75% of the biomass, are flies.  Flies in your eyes, flies in your ears, flies in your nose.  No wonder the “Australian salute” consists of waving your hands quickly in front of your face.  I wonder what they do while waiting for someone to exit his car.

The Wintersun Campground in Carnarvon is running a 3-nights-for-2 deal and we are taking advantage of it.  Nice place, a Woolworths food store and an electronics store where we purchased an internet thingy for our computer that lets us connect, like with a smart phone.  Expensive but necessary.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.