Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Stott Park Bobbin Mill

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 20 July 2011 | Views [2438]

 Stott Park Bobbin Mill, steam engine

Stott Park Bobbin Mill, steam engine

With all of the Roman, Saxon, Norman, and Medieval castles, priories, abbeys and such (which a friend annoyingly refers to as "rubble") we sometimes forget that England was the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution.  The first mills were located by necessity along watercourses and were powered by water wheels.  James Watt’s invention, the steam engine, changed the world forever.  Now factories could be built anywhere and produce an amazing array of products.  Steamships and steam locomotives could transport the goods far and wide.

Bobbins, those little things sewing thread is wound upon - we would probably call them spools, were important for cotton and linen thread, wool yarn and copper wire.  They were vital for weaving fabrics and carpets.  I never considered where they came from or how they were made until we visited the Stott Park Bobbin Mill this afternoon.  It was in operation from 1840 until 1971 and produced millions of wooden bobbins of all sizes.  During the world wars they switched production to treads for rope ladders on the Liberty ships and wooden buttons for Royal Navy coats.  When plastic bobbins replaced wood, they even tried making a go of it producing yo-yos.

The steam engine was the heart of the mill.  It powered lathes, saws, drills and all manner of machines through a series of drive belts all run off a single shaft.   Each could kill a careless worker in a heartbeat, and after a 12-hour shift there must have been many careless workers.   The machines had no safety features so hands, fingers, and eyes were always at risk.  Some of the jobs were done by children as young as nine.

A side product of the mill was the choking coal smoke, the legacy of which we are still dealing with.  Even today, the smoke from the chimney blanketed the valley.  Mills like Stott Park also gave us some phrases we still use.  A lever was used to “knock off” the drive belt to a lathe and stop the machine; the origin of “knock off for the day.”  The pressure in an overheating steam engine was released and “blowing off steam” came into our language.  Smaller bobbins were coated with wax but the larger ones were varnished, requiring the use of volatile spirits.  Because the workers became intoxicated, this process was reserved for the final hour of work on Friday – which was known as the “happy hour.”

 

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.