Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Ugandan Reunion

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 19 July 2011 | Views [1223]

Friends from Uganda: Chris, Richard, Kara, Connie, and Rose

Friends from Uganda: Chris, Richard, Kara, Connie, and Rose

Richard Goldsmith was the first person we met at the Kinyara Sugar Works near Masindi, and it wasn’t long before his girlfriend, Kara March, had volunteered to help us with our program.  This was back in 2006 when we were volunteers with the Jane Goodall Institute in Uganda.

When the company they worked for lost the sugar works contract they took jobs in Papua, New Guinea but we kept in touch.  They are married now and have been back in the UK for a few years.  They invited us for the weekend, along with Chris and Rose Turner, another expat couple from Kinyara.

Richard and Kara share a duplex on a large lot with her parents in the town of Breton, in the Cotswolds.  It turns out to be a good deal for all concerned, if a bit crowded with all of us plus two dogs on a rainy weekend.   It seems all we did was eat and drink and share stories, but we did manage a walk or two.  We had scones and tea, champagne and appetizers, dinner at the pub, huge English breakfasts, a traditional Sunday roast leg of lamb, and gallons of wine, pear liqueur and beer.  BELCH!  But it was wonderful to catch up after all this time.

While Richard and Kara went off to work, we followed Chris and Rose on the “3 or 4 hour” trip to their cottage in Barley in Lancashire, where we have been invited to stay for a fortnight. I was exhausted from trying to keep up with Chris when we finally arrived at the cottage 220 miles and nine hours later.  Everyone in England, it seems, lives in a ‘cottage,” but theirs is the real deal.  Like the rest of Barley, it dates from the 17th or 18th Century.  The ceilings are low, the creaky stairs are steep and the walls are thick.  The rooms are surprisingly spacious but cold, even in July with a coal fire going in the grate.  I can't imagine what it would be like in January.

We took an instant liking to Chris and Rose when we met them at Kinyara.  He is from London and they met in Zimbabwe where Rose grew up and they lived there for another 10 years.  We didn’t know them well until one Sunday afternoon when they drove right up to our banda in the forest.  Chris jumped out with a brace of cold beers in each hand and Rose carried a bottle of wine – instant friendship.  When we all left Uganda, Chris and Rose ended up working in the Gambia for another two years.

Since we had no running water or electricity, we visited Richard, Kara, Chris and Rose often for a hot shower, a cold drink and some of Kara’s freshly baked bread or Rose’s homemade ice cream and some good conversation.  Five years later we value their friendship more than that of many we have known longer.  They are among the few people we know who understand what traveling - and life - is all about.

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.