Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Salvador Dali's Art Isn't As Bad As It Looks!

SPAIN | Saturday, 21 May 2011 | Views [2013]

Himself - Dali Theatre-Museum, Figueres

Himself - Dali Theatre-Museum, Figueres

I have never been a big fan of Dali, despite the fact we own two signed prints by the Spanish surrealist.  Then again, I never saw a real sampling of his work.  Until today, that is.

We took a train – actually several trains – to Figueres, where Dali was born, lived and worked to visit the Dali Theatre-Museum, which was also designed by the artist.  You can get a preview of his work from the building itself and the courtyard, but the real – or surreal – surprises are inside.

Surrealism, like other post-modern “isms” isn’t easy to define.  And as undefined as the art is, there were a lot of rules within the surrealist community, that covered not only art, but also literature, music and even thought.  Dali, it seems, was not a member in good standing with other surrealists because he was a capitalist, which didn’t sit well with them.  But what else could you call his paintings, if not surreal?

Some of his works are indescribably weird, others whimsically creative.  Some were peaceful and soothing and I really loved some from the “Don Quixote” and “Divine Comedy” series.  One room contained paintings of rocks that morphed into people when studied them and he even produced an unbelievable collection of jewelry.  We had a great time and I learned a lot.  To paraphrase Mark Twain, “Dali’s art isn’t as bad as it looks!”

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.