Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Montserrat

SPAIN | Thursday, 19 May 2011 | Views [869]

Black Virgin, Monastery of Montserret

Black Virgin, Monastery of Montserret

The metro station is just a short stroll from our hotel.  The station sparkled and the train to Estacio Espana arrived within minutes.  It was SRO with students heading to university, surprising in a town where people party until two even on “school nights.” 

Estacio Espana was confusing but we made it to our train and boarded in plenty of time.  Which was a good thing, since the train left the station fifteen minutes early.  Or were we on the wrong train? the question that introduced several couples as we scanned the map.  No sooner had we come to conclusion we were OK, there was a loud boom and a bright flash – and the train stopped!

No one knew what was going on – and we didn’t understand in five languages; Catalan, Spanish, English, French and Korean!  Eventually the doors opened and we followed a loud, brassy woman to the opposite track where a replacement train took us onward.  Connie and I got off in Montserrat Ariel where a cable car swooped us 2000 feet up to the monastery just in time to meet the tour bus crowds we had hope to avoid by taking the early train.

So we queued up with the old, the lame and the noisy French and shuffled up the stairway of the saints to view the treasures behind the altar.  Even for this heathen it was pretty cool.  But the inside of the monastery doesn’t compare with the views outside.  Soon we were climbing the winding pathway to the top, stopping along the way to eat lunch.  The view from the top of the funicular was good but there were too many noisy school kids so we retraced our way back to the cable car and back to Barcelona.

We decided to do as the natives do and had a late dinner. It was the best meal I have had since we left the ship but I don’t think I can make a habit of eating that late. Eight o’clock was late for us but early for the locals.  And I haven’t gotten used to being charged for every little thing, like bread at dinner or milk in your coffee.            

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.