Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

In Barcelona and Back On The Market

SPAIN | Sunday, 15 May 2011 | Views [707]

At Park Guell, Barcelona

At Park Guell, Barcelona

Last night we packed our bags, mostly with dirty clothing and attended the ritual final dinner.  We said our good-byes, exchanged email addresses and tipped our waiters and cabin attendant.  As “un-Connie and John” as the cruise has been, we settled into a comfortable routine for fourteen days.

The ship docked in Barcelona before breakfast this morning and we soon disembarked for the final time.  Our passports are stamped and we have permission to stay in the EU for 90 days, something we will have to deal with soon.

Not having hotel reservations or even a clue where to stay can be an issue.  Especially on a weekend with a football game – Barcelona will be in the Champions’ League finals, the Super Bowl of soccer – and an upcoming Formula One race.  The cab driver didn’t speak English and when I asked him for a cheap but nice hotel he just laughed.  He dropped us on La Ramblas, a beautiful area with a good selection of hotels, most of which are “muy caro,” very expensive.  We eventually found a ** hotel and negotiated a rate of 70 euros a night for a week.  We have to get used to paying more in Europe than we are accustomed to.  But it has free WIFI and is convenient to a much-needed laundromat.

The internet on the ship cost $.88/minute and was notoriously slow, so we have been out of touch since leaving Houston.  Maybe we should have stayed out of touch.              The #&%@ing buyers backed out of the deal to buy our house at the last moment.   Making things worse, we had arranged for termination of our insurance and utilities and the lawn needs mowing.  We spent our first evening in Spain furiously sending emails followed by a pretty restless night.  We were afraid something like this might happen and we feel so helpless.  Even Fred, our realtor, (and he is earning every nickel of his commission on this deal) told us he was uncomfortable with the couple and their realtor.  Not only don’t we have a buyer but we lost four weeks of prime selling time and the #&%@ers skated away scott free.

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.