Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Malaga, Spain

SPAIN | Friday, 13 May 2011 | Views [1571]

Moorish arches, Alcazaba, Malaga

Moorish arches, Alcazaba, Malaga

We could see the lights of Morocco as we passed through the Straits of Gibraltar into the Mediterranean around 11 last night but we were on the wrong side of the boat to see Gibraltar and we were too sleepy to go topside.  When we awoke we were dockside in Malaga, Spain, our first landfall on the European continent and the 55th country I have visited.  It is also the birthplace of Pablo Picasso - actually just two of his 20-something names. His last name is actually Picasso-Ruiz but he chose his mothers name, possibly to the great relief of his father, an artist himself.  

The pier is a mile or so from the town itself, but walking on stable ground felt wonderful.  Malaga is pretty with lots of gardens and plenty of quiet winding streets.  We hiked another mile uphill to the Gibralfaro Castle where we had panoramic views of the harbor, the bullring and the flowering jacaranda trees.

Hiking downhill less sweaty but not a joy ride; it just uses different muscles.  We wandered around and eventually found the Alcazaba, the fortress that originally protected the town from invading pirates.  It was built upon Roman ruins and ancient amphitheater and disused Roman columns are haphazardly mixed in with its distinctly Moorish architecture and gardens.  The arches, geometric patterns and fountains reminded us so much of what we have seen in other Islamic regions.

“¿Donde esta el Museo Picasso?” I asked.  A simple question, no?  As it turns out there are two Picasso museums.  One is his birthplace.  We wanted the other, a collection of his art.  I guess it is as good a representation of his work as any 100 pieces can be considering he is credited with from 20,000 to as many as 40,000 works of art.  No, I haven’t become a fan but I did gain some insight into what he was trying to accomplish.  Like the Impressionists, jazz musicians or hippies, Picasso was trying to rock the boat, to make people see things differently.  He didn’t always know where a painting would end up when he began, and he often stopped before it was finished, so there were always an infinite number of possible outcomes.  Kind of a quantum approach to art, and he did take us out of our comfort zones.

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.