Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Fellow Travelers

USA | Monday, 9 May 2011 | Views [1468]

Our wonderful tablemates

Our wonderful tablemates

We were very lucky when it came to our tablemates, although they may have a different opinion of us.  Gregg and Laura both work for Boeing.  He is with NASA’s manned space flights and will retire after the final shuttle mission and I think Laura does something with the international space station.  As you can imagine, the conversations can be enlightening.  They are making this crossing as a shakedown for a ‘round the world cruise.  Laura’s need for a gluten-free diet means we get advance notice of the next day’s menu, which is nice since eating is one of the main events on a cruise.

Samuel and Gordana are as mismatched a pair as you will ever see, and somehow make a perfect couple.  He is an 85 year-old Jewish attorney who taught the philosophy of law and has had several other careers, some lucrative and others not so much.  He is a real raconteur and has a funny story for every occasion.  And he is as bald as an egg!  Gordana is an exotic Serb, maybe in her forties, with a mop of blonde hair.  She wears jewelry that she herself designed, has a zillion recipes and seems to have lived everywhere.

Jan and Lois, women of a certain age, are traveling together.  Jan is a widow in her 70s.  She walks with a cane but loves to travel and cruises are the perfect way for her to get around.  Lois’s (second) husband volunteered her when Jan was looking for a travel companion.  She is an unbelievable 87 years old and is one of the most interesting people I have ever met.  Her first husband was a military attaché and they raised their kids in Turkey in the early 50s then moved to Germany.  He died in his fifties on the tennis courts and she gave up the game just last year.  She and Jan are impressed by our adventures but I can’t imagine what her life was like before Europe was “discovered.”  When I grow up I hope to be just like Lois.

Tags: cruisin

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.