Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Anchors Aweigh

USA | Monday, 2 May 2011 | Views [825]

Voyager of the Seas, over 1000 feet long and 138,000 tons

Voyager of the Seas, over 1000 feet long and 138,000 tons

It’s a pretty good bet that my ancestors (and yours) that immigrated to the US came by steamship from Ireland.  So it is fitting that we are leaving in much the same way, although a bit more posh.  And while their first view of America was probably the New York skyline and the Statue of Liberty, our last glimpse is, unfortunately, Texas!

The boarding process was better organized and much less humiliating than at the airport and our stateroom is nicer and larger than many of the hotels we have stayed in.  The crossing will take two weeks, just a tad longer than a trans-Atlantic flight.

While Connie waited for our luggage to arrive I walked around the ship to get my bearings.  I noticed two types of passengers.  Experienced cruisers had already changed into bathing suits and staked out deck chairs around the pool while the rest of us wandered like deer in the headlights.  The ship is huge – over 1,000 feet in length.  There are fourteen decks.  Our cabin is on #3, about 15 feet above the water.   I found several pools, a basketball court, a climbing wall and a well equipped fitness center and am sure we will discover more tomorrow.

We signed up for the early dinner seating at 5:30 – eight o’clock was just too late.  Our tablemates are Laura and Greg from Houston, Samuel and Gordana also from Houston and two older women (Jan and Lois) from California. The food was great.  There is a nice selection, the portions are jus right, the presentation is nice and our waiters, Santana and Mathieu, are pleasant and attentive.  But it’s not easy making a choice – everything looks great.  The ship left the dock just and cleared Galveston Bay just as we finished dessert.

Tags: cruisin

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.