Existing Member?

Down Under 2008 Details of our travels in New Zealand during 2008

A month of madness!

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 24 August 2008 | Views [326]

Firstly, thanks for all the comments after the last update! I concede that Dick is more rock'n'roll than I am and look forward to hearing that story. From what I can gather it has been somewhat of a wet summer back in the UK so perhaps it was a good one to miss.

We've had a great month with Katie, Steve and Sarah and there is not enough time or space to record it all here, but I'll detail the route we took and mention a few highlights! They arrived in Auckland as planned and then, due to a slight admin balls up on my part, killed a few hours in Auckland before flying down to Christchurch with me to meet the others! After a good night's kip we picked up the campervan (Bertha) and headed off in style. Our 'South Island leg' route took us inland to Lake Tekapo to chill out under the stars before a more action packed time in Wanaka/Queenstown. Next stop was Te Anau and the beauty of the Milford Sound before nature spotting in the Catlins and Dunedin (Otago Peninsula). Needless to say we also managed a few beers in various locations. Then it was to the 'North Island leg' (no longer with camper) where we took in the sights and smells of Rotorua (and zorbed!) before hitting the Northland (Paihia, Kerikeri, Opononi). We managed to see a great deal, and I think that they guys were sad to leave a country that offers so much...no doubt they'll be back.

Highlights included a outdoor ice skating and night spa in Tekapo which was a nice relaxing way for the guys to cure their jet lags; jet boating and skiing in Queenstown (I can now join you on the slopes!); the wonders of the Milford Sound (only Steve and I saw a dolphin as the others were eating); seeing Penguins just about everywhere but especially on the Peninsula where we had to be careful to avoid the sealions; the Speights Brewery Tour in Dunedin (yet more information on becoming a Southern man!); riding a tram in Christchurch to the Vic and Whale Pub (a place where Steve and I managed to seek refuge from the ladies for a few hours); fishing whenever possible (although only on lakes in the snow which wasn't too successful....Steve almost got a big one though!); Steve and I being crowned Karaoke champions of the Northland in Paihia for a rendition of 'land down under' black sheep band style; swimming in the Pacific; Katie catching a snapper; and many more!! Of course for Clare and I the most important thing was to see everyone again and it was sad to wave farewell in Auckland a few days ago. Not too long until we meet again though.

Since then I have managed to arrange a hostel job for Clare and myself in Paihia, Bay of Islands. In return for 2 hours cleaning a day we get board, internet and laundry (and hopefully some decent weather....its been a little wet of late, although the sun is out quite often). We plan to stay here for the next few weeks until the next party arrive - mum and dad!! Weird to think we've been here pretty much 8 months now, and before too long the final leg will begin! Take it easy everyone, see you all soon.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.