Existing Member?

Down Under 2008 Details of our travels in New Zealand during 2008

From Rotorua to Raglan...then Auckland Folk Fest...to the northern trail

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 28 January 2008 | Views [614] | Comments [2]

Having spent a few more days enjoying the volcanic sites of Rotorua...theres only so many spas and bubbling pools of mud that seem imjpressive, and then you have to move on. We headed North and onto the West Coast to the surfing town of Raglan, a small but very fun place. Setting up camp on a nearby Holiday park, which was very popular with holidaying Aucklanders we spent time bodyboarding on the amazing waves, chilling out on the beach and tackling the trak to the summit of Mount Karioi (which is a very worthwhile trek with great views...it involves a lot of steep climbs, some ladders, a few with chains to assist you and a couple of scrambles...not to be attempted in bad weather).

Also managed to spend some time in Raglan itself soaking up the atmosphhere of the Raglan Club (a sort of sports come community club) enjoying a good, cheap roast dinner and a few bargain handles (the kiwi name for glasses of beer). Also worked through the setlist on the beach..a great place for a run through.

The Anniverary weekend (last in January) took us to Auckland Folk Festival, where Pip, James and myself performed on the main stage on the saturday night. Everyone got free tickets and camping and we had a top time. The Gig itself went well, plenty of good feedback and a few contacts to continue our musical trail onwards (also helped me to make a decision to take music a little more seriously when I get back). Plenty of other top quality music on, and drinking songs were sung well into the night at the big homebrew and drinking songs session.

Since then we've headed into the Northland, and, more specifically to Uretiti campsite near Waipu. The campsite is a primitive DOC site (toilets and cold showers) in a stunning location almost on the beach...however, one does have to put up with the odd nudist as this seems to be one of their hangouts...this fact in itself has provided the group with endless amusement particularly when they start building sandcastles and digging holes.

Spent today in the Waipu caves admiring the glow worms....a stunning site, just like looking up at the night sky...except all the worms have a slight greeny tinge to their light. Its the first time I've seen it and its been one of the best experiences so far...best thing was that there was no guide, no health and safety andno admission fee...just turn up at the caves and go explore...amazing.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

Comments

1

hi tom, sounds like you are all having fun!! good to hear you are singing at the folk festivals over in Nz.
if pips back in june tell him robin hoods bay is 6-7-8th this year!! norms checking out mount karioi hes been reading up on it!! (for when he comes out!!) take care all of you!! love pol and dick xx p.s tell james thanks for the photos.

   p.mccallum Jan 29, 2008 9:26 AM

2

Hi Tom,
Sounds like you are all having a great time, I'm very envious. I hope you are learning some Maori songs to regale us with should you ever wish to return. Don't get those tattoos on your face though, it may hinder your employment prospects.
All the best, Fred

  Fred Feb 8, 2008 11:31 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.