Existing Member?

Down Under 2008 Details of our travels in New Zealand during 2008

Abel Tasman and the West Coast

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 22 April 2008 | Views [584]

Leaving Havelock seems like a lifetime ago now, even though it was only just over a fortnight back! We've been up to the Farewell Spit, achieved the Abel Tasman coastal trek, visited the Nelson Lakes and spent a lot of time heading down the West Coast highway.

Leaving Havelock in the rain we initially spent a night at Kaiteriteri hoping to get the Abel Tasman done over the following few days. Unfortunately the weather and the girls had other ideas (both Anna and Clare were suffering from Kiwi colds). Instead of waiting around the decision was made to go further north and see the top of the South Island - the Farewell Spit. Staying at Collingwood we took a drive out to the Nature Reserve surrounding this area and spent a good few hours walking around the long sand spit, which juts out into the Tasman Ocean. A huge variety of birdlife was around (which Clare was not especially keen on) including hundreds of Black Swans just off the coast. The weather was kind to us once again and the views over the spit were dramatic, as were the descriptions of the large amounts of whales who accidently beach here each season on their trans-tasman routes. By the time our stay in Collingwood was complete the girls seemed recovered and the sun had returned.

From Collingwood we returned to the Southern entrance of the Abel Tasman National Park, in Maharau. We stayed here for a night before beginning the trek (having booked our campsites and planned our route in the days before). We stopped for a night at Anchorage Bay, which was a large campsite next to a golden beach, and then at Bark Bay, between the sea and an estaury, before being picked up by a water taxi from Awaroa. The walk was easy going even with a pack, but was good fun with a few tidal crossings, where Clare and Anna got muddy feet and complained constantly (!). To top it off the weather and beaches was amazing, although getting chilly at night (and also in the water where I took a dip).

From here we started going South properly, starting with the Nelson Lakes. Staying at St. Arnaud DOC campground, situated on the Lake's shoreline, allowed us to take a few short walks and to see the lakes as best we could in cloudy conditions. I tried my hand at lake fishing, which seems pretty tough although I did manage to catch a reasonable brown trout, but by NZ standards he was too small to keep. the casting is ever improving though. The area is stunning even without the sunshine...the clouds hanging on the lake make it all the more atmospheric. During the second night here we saw some of the lake's famed giant eels swimming around, which apparntly are hundreds of years old...wouldn't want to catch one of those!

Next up we began our journey down the West Coast Highway, stopping first at Punakaiki to see the Pancake Rocks and Blowholes. We stayed in an awesome Rainforest Hostel for a couple nights allowing us to recharge various batteries and, once again, ourselves...the girls spent much time reading magazines! It was then South to Greymouth, where I took the awesome Monteith's Brewery tour and indulged myself in the tastings and free bar at the end (which was only open for 20 mins so quick drinking was vital)! The town itself had little else to offer so we stayed inland amongst the mountains at Jacksons Retreat near Lake Brunner. The camp was great and we managed to do a nearby peak of 1,250m (a small one by the standards of some mountains around here!) and get some great views of the Southern alps and the coastline. I also tried a little more lake fishing, but with no success.

From here we drove further down the coast spending a night in Hokitika, the only town of significant size for a good few days, where we stocked up on a few bits. Now I am sat in Franz Josef township planning my trip up the glacier...sun is out and the views of the mountains are incredible...we should soom be able to see the daddy of them all Mount Cook! Off to find a cold beer to see the evening in with. 

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.