Existing Member?

Down Under 2008 Details of our travels in New Zealand during 2008

Fishing and Floating on Lake Taupo

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 22 February 2008 | Views [507] | Comments [4]

Have spent the past few days in and around Taupo, at the northern end of New Zealand's largest lake, Lake Taupo. The town is void of beautiful buildings, but does have a pleasant character and seems very lively both during the day and, especially during the night. We expect it to be even more so over the weekend as the "swim across the lake" challenge takes place and everyone from Auckland visits their holiday homes! We've filled our time exploring and fly fishing (with not much success do far, but ever improving!).

Clare and I took a boat trip on the lake aboard the Barbary, a large sailing boat...our guide, who was a real character, took us past Acacia Bay and to the Maori Carvings (which although only 28 years old are very impressive and well worth a visit)...the trip also allowed us to get a grip on just how vast the lake is. The lake was formed in a massive volcanic crater, whose explosion was so large that the Romans and Ancient Chinese document it in their histories. It is a very deep blue colour and the water is crystal clear (theres no sediment in the rivers which flow into it). It is also, so we're told, a haven for trout (but it is not quite the season yet).

Having purchased a couple rods, Pip, myself and Clare headed onto one of the tributaries of the Taupo...about 12km south of the town. We found a great spot with not too much behind so we could learn to cast and keep trying without too many snags. A few flies were lost, and nothing caught...but we could see them on the river bend rising towards the end of the afternoon...Percy, a trout named by Pip, bemused us for most of the afternoon, a large rainbow who sat beneath the water within our vision but refused to take what we were casting at him (clearly not hungry!). Despite nothing to take home we were all pleased with the improvement that we'd made throughout the day...and full of the desire to go out and do more. We were also heartened by talking to a couple of experienced heads who said that it will be tough for the next couple of weeks, but March onwards would be the time. Pip and I have since gone out again for a couple of hours on the Waikato, losing no flies and with a much better idea of things (although still very much novices)...catsing looking good and a few fish jumping high....the river was perhaps a little too wide and fast flowing but we really enjoyed wading in as the sun set around us (and cooling our beers in the water!). Our permits are valid for another week or so in this area, so I'll update when we catch one!

Hoping to be heading to the southern end of the lake within the next couple of days...and to take on the famous Tongariro crossing trek...look it up on the net for some pics (it is supposedly one of the most amazing walks on the planet).

Tags: The Great Outdoors

Comments

1

Good talking this morning, Tom. Footprint devotes a page and a map to Tongariro; mildly active craters, hot springs, fumaroles and pools of boiling mud feature, so it should be exciting! Around 16 km and gets up to 1968 m. Booking our flights soon, Love Mum, Dad and Katie.xxx

  Douglas Henry Fremlin Feb 22, 2008 9:01 PM

2

hi tom well you are making norm and dick green with envy talking about your fishing trips they both wish they were there!! hope you manage to catch percy but if you do put him back!! you couldnt possibly eat him! (could you?) love to all pol and dick xxxxx

  pol and dick Feb 24, 2008 2:29 AM

3

Hi Tom, great to hear you are enjoying the fishing and improving with every cast, im sure its only a matter of time before the smell of rainbow trout cooking wafts from your barbecue. Keep fishing the rivers, and if you can see the fish cast a yard upstream and let the fly drift over with no drag, but most important of all dont forget to keep the beers cool. Got to go Tom France and England in the six nations about to GET IT ON. Tight Lines Norman and Sandra.

  Norman McCallum Feb 24, 2008 6:28 AM

4

we had a nice fish the other day, but it came from tesco. The cricket must have been great, pity we lost the final match. My personal sporting excitement will be next saturday when I go to see Southampton against Ipswich, which, on current form, wll be a win for Ipswich. You'll be delighted to know, I'm sure, that Gillingham actually won yesterday. Keep the reports coming, I'm enjoying reading them, Rob

  Rob White Feb 25, 2008 3:29 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.