Existing Member?

Down Under 2008 Details of our travels in New Zealand during 2008

35 degrees south recording session and other adventures!

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 17 February 2008 | Views [476]

Having achieved Cape Reinga the only possible direction was south, and on our way we dropped in to Ahipura, Kerikeri (to see Tony), Russell (again!) and Opononi (for a while home of the now deceased 'Opo the crazy dolphin' and, fortunately, a handy mechanic). A good time was had at all places and then it was south to Auckland (once the car was actually working again).

Ahipura is at the southernmost end of Ninety Mile Beach and joins on to Shipwreck Bay, both of which we visited during our time on the holiday park's campsite. Shipwreck bay was not quite as impressive as the name suggests as it is only possible to see one crank shaft (and not a large ship as I thought I might upon setting out with my snorkel). I did, however, see a lot of crabs performing little crab dances to intimidate me as I swam overhead (they were more amusing than frightening, but some were a fair size). Also dropped in to a few cafes and took in the England 20:20 game on TV.

Moving on from Ahipura we hit Kerikeri and went to see my old history teacher, and fouder of the Witan (band), Tony. He and his family (Faye and Chris) kindly put us up for a couple of nights rest and relaxation in their wonderful New Zealand home. A tour of the sites of Kerikeri, chilling out in Tony's pool, drinking beer and recording 'Weather with You' (the kiwi anthem) and 'Whiskey in the Jar', during the 35 degrees south session, was all great fun. I was pleased to see that Tony has got eveything he wants from emigrating to New Zealand and there can be few better places than Kerikeri to live.

Waving fond farewells the group set off, although there was some disagereement as to the best direction...in the end we compromised and James did the Cape Brett trek whilst we took some time to explore Russell a little more. Following this we went to the west coast and the stunning Hokianga Harbour area. Our campsite in Opononi had awesome views over the sanddunes on the other side of the natural harbour and was situated near the 'Boar and Marlin' pub! Our second day in Opononi was to be an unfortunate one...we headed off to see the largest two kauri trees in NZ, tane mahuta and the god of the forest (both impressive although we are now a little kauried out) but upon return we stopped in a garage and needed to be jumped to get out....failing to get any power up the hills and needing another jump to get back we figured that we needed to struggle to Dargaville the next day...unfortunately at this time the car would not even move enough to get out of the campsite. Fortunately the AA came to our rescue (although Anna didn't join until we started having problems in Opononi!) and a fault with the Alternator was found and fixed quickly/inexpensively....

Fixed up we headed into Auckland ahead of the third ODI between England and New Zealand...staying in a lodge in Parnell. Upon arrival it became clear that one of our back tyres was becoming flat but it was decreed not to sort it until after the cricket. The next day we headed off to Eden Park and watched a closely fought match in which England emerged victorious and kept their hopes alive in the series. A great day out, made better by a fair few beers and the chance to watch a day/night game live (great atmospehere)...the win may have helped also.

Waking up the next morning (after a poor night's sleep and with a slight hangover) we borrowed a jack, changed the tyre and headed to the garage who managed to repair the back one but suggested we change a front one...the price seemed high so we declined here and headed out to Mark's in Ramarama who recommended a garage...they fitted a second hand tyre similar to the one on the other side and we were off....now sat in Taupo. near the lake, pondering buying a fly fishing rod (perhaps I will phone Norman!).

   

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.