Existing Member?

Down Under 2008 Details of our travels in New Zealand during 2008

Coromandel Peninsula

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 14 January 2008 | Views [439] | Comments [2]

Taking the ferry from Auckland we headed over to the Coromandel Peninsula, a place full of golden sands, blue seas and green forests. The ferry journey itself was eventful with dolphins swimming alongside for some minutes. Upon arrival we headed for the sleepy Coromandel Town, originally built amidst a gold rush, this small town looks like something out of a western movie. We set up camp at the Tidewater Park and explored...taking in the famous seafood shops, and a couple of the bars...I would particularly recommend the Coromandel Hotel Bar...full of locals and backpackers. Whilst in Coromandel we also took a ride on the narrow gauge Driving Creek Railway, which was built to bring clay into the potteries but is now a great chance to get into the cloud forest, see local wildlife and get fantastic views from the hill tops (especially from the aptly named eye-full tower). Took in another couple of cafes and just generally relaxed into the very sleepy life Coromandel seems to emit. Weather was fantastic...and everyone is building up a nice tan.

From Coromandel Town we headed East to Whitianga, another fantastic place, where we are currently staying with Colin and Greta...feet have barely been on dry land since arriving here, with several activities being planned for us! We've been sailing (capsizing), weight boarding, biscuiting (being dragged really fast in a rubber ring behind a speed boat until you fly out), fishing (I caught a couple fish, James got a few, and everyone landed at least one) and catching the sun on the deck. Have yet to see Whitiange itself, but have played plenty of music with a great family in the Cook's Bay region...Mark and his team have been so generous, and all the locals have been brilliant, we just simply try our best to repay them by playing as much music as possible. Time to sign off for now...a BBQ of the fish we caught today and some beers are happening downstairs.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Mum and I enjoyed talking to you yesterday (Wednesday for us). Katie says you have sent her a text since. It's really good to know you are having a great time so early on in the trip.
Love, Dad

  Douglas Henry Fremlin Jan 17, 2008 11:10 PM

2

IT SOUNDS SO GOOD OUT THERE YOU ALL SOUND TO BE REALLY ENJOYING IT DONT WORRY ABOUT US LEFT HERE IN THE WIND AND RAIN GIVE OUR LOVE TO ALL
SAND AND NORM X

  SANDRA MCCALLUM Jan 21, 2008 6:04 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.