Existing Member?

Down Under 2008 Details of our travels in New Zealand during 2008

Arrival and first days

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 6 January 2008 | Views [423]

Having had about the worst possible start to the trip - contracting a tummy bug and then facing the prospect of 24 whole hours of travel - things could really only get better. Unfortunately, before they did this, things got worse. I was helped through Heathrow by Anna, Pip and Clare...all the hot check-ins and baggage searches and eventually made it onto the plane feeling awful. The stomach eased a little with the adrenaline of take off and stupidly I accepted the inflight peanuts and orange juice! Somewhere over Russia about four hours in I awoke from a short sleep in agony and seconds later covered myself and clare in sick....but,this point on my road, to recovery began.

Transfer in Seoul was fine, and the airport was well organised, light and airy and extremely clean. Boarded second flight which passed without incident and arrived Auckland at 10:30 on Friday 4th Jan (having set off on Wednesday 2nd). Bags checked for 'buglies' by the NZ biosecurity who cleaned my walking boots off for me, and shook out my tent (then gave it back!).

Made it to hostel and checked in....since then have spent time sleeping, eating (making up for lost time) and exploring. We've visted two of Auckland's big parks which are very green (and hot in the summer) and explored Queen Street and the Marina. We've also cultured ourselves in the Auckland Museum and attempted Ponsonby Road, which really wasn't all it was cracked out to be. But, so far so good!

Tags: Relaxation

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.