Existing Member?

Down Under 2008 Details of our travels in New Zealand during 2008

Becoming a 'Southern Man' in Dunedin

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 21 July 2008 | Views [654] | Comments [4]

Many weeks have passed since the last update, but in that time we have moved very little. The majority of our time in Dunedin has been spent working (Clare in the Otago Museum Cafe, Anna at Larnach Castle, and me at just about everywhere else!). Outside of work there have been other notable events, a few good nights out (on Speights Ale, the 'Southern Man'drink) and a farewell to another member of the party, James (not to mention a farewell to Brenda the Discobus, our car).


The first few days in Dunedin were a stressful time handing out CVs and, initially, finding little success. Eventually, I signed up to a temping agency (one of two that I became a part of) and soon was put to work in the store of an egg factory (wrapping pallets and filling containers with huge boxes of frozen egg products!!), shortly after I was a binman (!) which was good fun and I was even involved in setting up Dunedin Town Hall for the University of Otago graduation ceremonies. All of these jobs kept me amused for many weeks, whilst the girls continued their waitressing. Later, I joined another temping agency who had work in the local Countdown Supermarket, which was being refitted. Myself and another guy from the hostel spent three weeks of night shifts helping with the taking down, rebuilding, demolition and filling stock. During this period we saw little of the day and of those we lived with! I enjoyed the work but was pleased to switch back to days for my final week and see Clare and Anna once more.


Although work has dominated our time in Dunedin there have been other noteworthy events. Whilst busking fairly early on in our stay (something which has earned me much money in Dunedin) I was asked to play/busk at a local Tatoo Festival which sounded good.  When I turned up to the event it was a little less 'legit' than I had expected....various parts had been closed down by the local council, and the overall set up was not as expected. In my second session I ended up playing alongside a bassist and drummer amongst several half naked ladies covered in body paint (which was part of a competition apparently)...(and, just to clarify it was the ladies who were covered in paint, not me)...this was not what I had expected but is likely the most rock and roll moment of my tour of NZ (and of my musical career!)...I know for one that Dad in particular enjoyed this story!

We've also had several good nights out, despite the cold, including Anna's birthday celebrations, James' farewell drinks and a few others for no real reason. Our hostel is situated about two mins from the Speights Brewery and Alehouse, perfect for a few beers in the evening.

I've finally seen the All Blacks in action live at the Carisbrook here in Dunedin. It was a very tight game, which the Springboks eventually won by two points in the dying minutes. One of the ultimate NZ experiences has to be witnessing the power of the prematch Haka. Carisbrook was a great place to see it, a smallish ground packed out at 29,500 capacity crowd celebrating 100 years of test rugby and going crazy.

The other thing I have seen is my first ever penguin, in the freezing cold dusk at Sandfly Bay....I have never seen any animal look more confused as it tries to work our whether to run up the beach or dive back into the sea until its located its nest - awesome!

I'm sure that I will have missed a few things, and I'll skip over the fact that unfortunately Brenda (our car) is no more, but, in summation, Dunedin has been a good place to stop and work...we've experienced a little of the Southern way of life and at times battled with the cold! The work has been hard but the beer has been good, and everyone is now veryt much looking forward to the arrival of Katie, Steve and Sarah for the next leg of the voyage. I write on the eve of our departure from Dunedin and we'll bid it, and our new friends, farewell for the time being but we'll return shortly to enjoy it once more.

Comments

1

Glad you found time to bring the blog up to date. Seems I even got a mention! Shame there are no photo's of the gig?!?
Having seen Katie, Sarah and Steve off from Heathrow last weekend, we are expecting news later today (24 July here) that they have arrived with you in Auckland. Have a great time together. We're starting to get excited about our trip out in September. Love, Dad x

  Douglas Henry Fremlin Jul 24, 2008 10:13 PM

2

Glad to see you're keeing the CV up to date. The way the economy's going here your degree in Politics should just about secure you a position on the bins in York. Sandra's looking to book us all in to Sidmouth for a week next year but we'll need Steve to pick us up from the local aerodrome on his tractor - please faciltate. Summer has finally broke out here and we had a good weekend at Hawdraw, staying at the camp site next to the Green Dragon. We're all hoping to meet you soon in Hawes if you ever decide to return, laters.

  Fred Jul 30, 2008 9:56 PM

3

hope you are all now having fun and ditched this thing called work!! its now time to spend your hard earned cash, & enjoy! hope sarah ,katie and steve are enjoying the winter with you as fred says we have finally got summer here. Tom, dick says he can beat the painted ladies hes played music for strippers and judged a wet t.shirt competion whilst playing!! hardraw festival was really good, pickering 8th august(waterboys) then we are all at the bay again for whitby folk week!!love to all pol and dick. x

  pol & dick Jul 31, 2008 6:52 AM

4

Hi Tom,

I'm looking to contact some temping agencies in Dunedin for work in early Feb. I don't suppose you remember the names of the agencies that you worked for?

Cheers,
Rob Thomson

--- ---
14degrees Off The Beaten Track - Around the world solo by recumbent bicycle and skateboard. 24,000km. 2 years. // URL: www.14degrees.org // email: rob.thomson@14degrees.org // Raising awareness for Lowe Syndrome - www.lowesyndrome.org

  Rob Thomson Jan 9, 2009 6:43 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.