Existing Member?

sophsossig general diary to keep all the folks at home upto date on our shenanigans in India!

Home Sweet Home

INDIA | Monday, 19 March 2007 | Views [742] | Comments [1]

Still in Mcleod and it does feel like home now! Blimey what can i say so much has happened in last few days.

Our weekend felt like a real weekend as we got a break from Tibetan classes and English classes. So with our free time we still did not leave Mcleod Ganj and explore any sights but hung out instead. We always have such good intentions but they just never happen.

Our English classes have still been fab - the monks i have met include Super monk, Bhutan monk and others which im sorry didnt make up a nickname for! Super monk is just so interesting to talk too and his english is very good so he is able to explain Buddhism to us in such a beautiful way (your mind like clean water but things from outside make it dirty). He has taken us back to his bedroom in the monastery where he shares it with another monk. It is full of books about Buddhism philosophy, language books and photos of the Dalai Lama and others. These guys study so hard and dedicate so much time to learning about their beliefs and the world around them. They also spend a large amount of time praying which leaves them little time for anything else - although Super monk does like to catch a footie game here and there! He is a cheeky one and laughs at us and winds us up. He also took us for a walk around the temple - monks circumnavigate temple each day - the pathway is lined with prayer wheels, mantra rocks and prayer flags and views across the valley.

Bhutan monk gives me his email and address of monastery he has stayed in in Nepal so hope to visit. He studied Buddhism philosophy for 10 years and also does wood carvings, paintings and speaks about 5 languages. These guys are so special xxxxx

Other monks aren[t quite what they seem though here - New York monk who we met the other day has turnt out to be quite a nutter. He befriended us a few days ago and we did think he was odd then as he could not sit still or hold a conversation for more than 5 seconds - always flitting around like a butterfly! We have now offically fallen out with him as he does not seem to practice his Buddhism ways and our last few meetings with him have ended up in full on war! Who would have thought that you could fall out with a monk!?!?

Breakdancing ex-monk Wangkho is a gem - he invited us to his place last night and cooked us delicious noodle dinner. He  has also offered to teach us how to cook momos. He is so open, crazy and fun to be with. He is learning how to make films and showed us good footage of the Dalai Lama and the Amdo concert which we were at on St Patricks day. Amdo is a region of Tibet (mostly nomadic people there), Cham and Lhasa are the other two. The concert was wild and the outfits and singing blew me away. The atmosphere was electric and the audience were loving it even the heckling monks!

Have also been enjoying late night parties with our Amdo boys - Jam and Baby. Jam has a great rooftop room where we watched the stars and drunk Thunderbolt. St Patricks was a blast in Mcllos where we waved the Irish flag and sung Dubliners songs!

Weather has been bright and sunny and we have even been sunbathing on our hotel rooftop. Last Tibetan class today where we learned the numbers - really enjoy learning it and may carry on.

So good to speak to big sis yesterday - love you millions xxxxx keep sending the pics xxxxxx

One glove. Jamming, u have to darling, GOdfather, Jaws 2, pee pee in the forest, crazy kids, ja pa sa, amadsa, cat sam, big nose, Indian police with big sticks and moustaches, Thunderbolt, Little Miss Sunshine (sorry random notes to help me remember!)

Tags: Friends

Comments

1

hi blista, finally caught up with ur journal fab!!! love the pics 2, u look so very intelligent in most!!!NOT!!!! missing u sooooooo much and bert n robyn here 2, they demanded i come and drag u home! love you and think of you always x x x take care x x x

  katy Mar 20, 2007 8:18 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.