Existing Member?

sophsossig general diary to keep all the folks at home upto date on our shenanigans in India!

I Hate Goodbyes!!!

INDIA | Tuesday, 3 April 2007 | Views [728]

Tashi Delek everybody! Have just arrived in Smelly Delhi after a nightmare 12 hour bus ride  - lunatic driver, sick smell and my long legs wedged behind seat in front : (

And to add to it all we had to leave the other half of our gang behind - Jam and Baby : ( : ( I had told myself I wouldn't cry but when they both pulled out white prayer scarves from their pockets and placed one each around our necks I blubbed like a baby!! The Tibetan prayer scarves mean so much as they are offerings given to someone as a mark of respect or love - ahhhhhh! They are such great guys and we have had so many good times with them in Mcleod that we seriously considered doing a Goa and jumping off the bus and staying but something told us to go - but just rush back! Hope to see Nepal and Tibet in a month and head back to Mcleod for May.

Our last few days in Mcleod have been spent doing the usual stuff - we spent our final night with Dave, Grainne, Jam and Baby in Mcllos singing Amdo and Irish songs and drinking Kingfishers. Mcllos bar has become the place to meet for a sundowner as they have a rooftop with great views across the valley. The waiters in there also deserve a huge mention - they are so friendly and always have a welcoming smile and 'nameste!' when we arrive (although this could be because we have been their best customers in the last few weeks!)

Have acquired a few bruises and scrapes from the walk home from Mcllos - as the walk takes you down steep paths and rocky terrain in the dark! Although the full moon has helped brighten the way the last few nights. Also spent my first night under the stars here the other night - it was fab and I kept waking up to take a peek at the ever changing stars. The moon has bveen incredible here the last few nights - there was a huge bright ring surrounding it about 4 nights ago - I have never seen anything like it in my life it was beautiful : )

Days have been spent eating Israeli breakfast in Gypsy King, Bhagsu (delicious - the breakfast in town) salad, pitta, humus and eggs. Walks to Bhagsu waterfall - my favourite place in Mcleod - where you can watch monks washing their robes, people washing themselves, birds circling ahead and flitting between the rocks and the sound of the water. It is such a special place and when I'm up there I just never want to come down! Afternoons are spent eating cheese veg thukpa in Om's then off to talk to Super Monk on the rooftop of his monastery as the sun begins to set.

We have also learnt how to cook momos with Wangkho our Breakdancing Monk - it was a lovely evening and we all just sat around chatting and helping out. They are made by mixing flour and water together for the dough then grating spuds, ginger, garlic, cheese and spinach for the filling. You then spoon the filling into the little rolled out circles of dough and tuck them up neatly -  its all in the thumb action apparently! Sounds simple but mine and Annies were a mess - spinach and spuds all over the place! They are then steamed and eaten with chilli sauce which is hot, hot, hot : () Katy u would love it!

Have also made it upto Dharamakot which is a little place further up from our place Bhagsu - saw a group of people preparing for trek to Triund - a 2 day trek with a night under the stars. Cheeky monkey came along and nicked half their food supplies while they waited. Thought we had escaped the rabid monkeys here but obviously not! 

Can't wait to return to Mcleod in May - so much left to do - learn how to cook a momo without it looking like Mr Potato Head, talk more to Super Monk and any others!, hanging with our boys, wedding plans for our double wedding in June ; ), teaching English, Wangkho moments, road trips to Manali and Ladakh, getting to know even better Big Bro, Hey Man!, Drum Boy and all the other great guys we've met - the list is endless . . . . . . .

Anyway city life is calling - bollocks!! - must go and find a really expensive coffee shop to sit in and get asked the same questions 'what is your good name!' 'what is your occupation' before getting our train to the Nepalese border.

Love you all - miss your gorgeous faces - Dyl, Robyn, Eli! - xxxxx

Tags: Friends

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.