Existing Member?

sophsossig general diary to keep all the folks at home upto date on our shenanigans in India!

Mr and Mrs Jam!!

INDIA | Wednesday, 9 May 2007 | Views [1503] | Comments [3]

Hey folks - what a crazy week this has been! Me and Jam were married on Monday and it was one of the best days of my life!

Me and Jam started the day by getting up early and leaving his rooftop to go to the temple. Here we done three prostrations (Buddhist practice where you place hands - palms together - on your head, mouth and heart before kneeling and touching the floor with your head) which demonstrate your desire to have the wisdom, speech and heart of Buddha. We then circumabulated the temple three times and spun the prayer wheels inside the temple. We then sat together and in our hearts made our promises to each other. We then walked back and told our promises to each other before stopping for a cuppa in Tara cafe. It was a very peaceful, happy morning. I then went and crashed in Bhagsu with Annie in preparation for the wedding party in the evening.

At 4pm i walked to Jams and we put our outfits on! It was such a nice feeling to prepare for the party with Jam and share the whole day with him - not like English weddings! Think they should scrap the rule of not seeing the bride before the big day - our way felt very special! Jams outfit was amazing - photos will be up soon. The outfits are called chupas and are traditional Amdo dress. He wore blue and I wore green. We then walked from his rooftop to Himalaya restaurant where the party was being held. These outfits are bloody hot - made for Tibetan nomads who live in the mountains so was a bit 'ot when I arrived! Then sat with a cup of salty Amdo tea and waited for guests to arrive. Baby and Annie were great wedding planners and got all the last minute bits and the guys at Himalaya put on a real spread - lots of nibbles and delicious buffet for all the guests.

Cheejam who is Jams cousin and very close to him also helped with preparations and his other friends came early to put their outfits on. I am slowly getting to know the names of most of Jams friends but there were alot to remember - over 40 guests. I was very happy to see K.G (ex monk who i teach English too), Keko and Nemsee (Chheejams wife and child), Bg Bro and Golinda and Super Monk (who almost didn't come in as he was too shy!). Alan and Jimmy and Jess and Bridget also arrived although a bit late but it was good to see some friends of mine that I had met along the way. Although admittedly I had only known Jess and Bridget for about a week and Alan and Jimmy were two Irish guys who we had one drunken night with in Allepy! They stuck to their steroetypical Irish ways and were bladdered when they arrived - Jimmy eventually had to be escorted out!

Once the guests arrived me and Jam sat next to each other with a picture of HH The Dalai Lama behind us. All the guests then came and put Kataks (prayer scarves) around my neck and Jams neck. Others also put a katak next to HH. Envelopes containing small money offerings were also placed in front of us. It was so special and the guests wished us a happy life and gave us hugs and kisses. We then took all the kataks off keeping only one on us and food was served to us. Then the booze came out (which me and Jam had gone to buy a few days before - vodka and whiskey!!!)and the singing begun. Singing is such a huge part of the entertainment with TIbetan people and it truly is amazing - my hubby has the best voice!!! A katak was tied around a carton of Tropicana which was then passed around to all the guests who took a turn to sing. Us English girls just gave speeches - Annies was lovely a real tearbreaker! - but songs included tradtional Amdo songs, BOn Jovi (thanks baby) and Michael Lansrock. Everybody then got up to dance and just have a good time!

Me , Jam, Annie, Baby, Alan, Soojah, Dolma, Cheejam, Jess and Bridget all left the party earlier and went to Mcllos for a few more bevvies before me and Jam escorted Cheejam home where we crashed for the night. It really was an amzing day and I didn't want to take my dress off!

In typical Sophie style I woke the next day still pissed as a fart and spent the morning with my head in the toilet! But still i was very happy to be with my hubby and Cheejam and his family.

Me and Jam then spent the afternoon at Bhagsu waterfall - our favourite place before celebrating further in Mcllos as there was one importan t guest that we forgot to invite!!!! He is a relative of Jams who is an avid campaigner for the Free Tibet campaign and although he was a little angry he was very happy for us.

I'm sure there is much I have forgotten in this entry as it was such a busy day packed with many memorable moments but there are plenty of photos to remember the day by and maybe even a video!

I now plan to spend as much time with Jam as I can and just enjoy being Mrs Jam. All my love to folks at home. Can't wait to see you in July. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tags: Friends

Comments

1

I WISH YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND THE VERY BEST FOR THE FUTURE, KEEP ON WRITING, I AM WAITING TO SEE SOME WEDDING PICTURES.

  Edith May 10, 2007 11:28 PM

2

miss u

  dylan Jul 3, 2007 4:21 AM

3

miss u

  dylan Jul 3, 2007 4:23 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.