Existing Member?

sophsossig general diary to keep all the folks at home upto date on our shenanigans in India!

Dalai Lama Day

INDIA | Wednesday, 31 January 2007 | Views [582]

Been in cosmopolitan Mumbai for 2 nights now - downgraded to dorm room in Sally Army lodgings. The food we are served there is so British - even get Tetley tea. Feels like prison mealtimes though - food is slopped onto tray, boiled egg, banana, 3 toast rations and a butter portion. Not bad though for 150r a night.

Yesterday was a day of sightseeing and for the first time felt like a proper tourist rather than just a traveller. Walked to the Gateway of India and got on a boat over to Elephanta Island - bloody Indians love to rip off us foreigners. Pay 120r for boat ride and go to take a seat on top deck only to be asked for a further 10r for the pleasure - we stay on bottom deck! Arrive on Elephanta Island and climb the steep ascent to the caves - some tourists are carried on a chair held on the shoulders of 4 Indian guys - lazy buggers although halfway it seems quite tempting. Get to top and find that you pay a further 250r to enter caves (10r for Indian nationals!!)we've come this far so pay the dosh.

There are so many cute puupies up here - just want to pick one up and take it home with me. The little white one seems to need the most rescuing - every 5 minutes we hear a squeal and he has been stepped on again!

Caves are pretty cool but out of the seven caves only two are actually worth looking at - luckily come across a girl from Norway who has paid a guide to take her to the village of found here. As the guide tries to lead Hilda down a winding path into the jungle she pleas for us to come with her so we take pity and go. Best decision of the day - little dude Chankra Khan leads us to his beautiful, colourful village and invites us inbto his home. A small room with awesome views over the island - room is also scattered with empty Kingfishers (guess thats what he spends his earnings on!!)we take photos and he gives me and Annie an anklet each (a beautiful gift). Then he leads us out to the local shop where we buy a drink and a handful of sweets to give to the local children who have surrounded us. Chocolate eclairs drive them wild - please check out Annies journal for photos of me being attacked for them (http://journals.worldnomads.com/anniekaka/). What an experience. If anyone is to go to Elephanta Island please look up Chanka Khan (i promised to spread the word!) he really is worth every ruppee

Leave Elephanta island and go for lunch at Mondys only to discover today is a dry day (no alcohol being served due to elections - the swines!!)Suddenly our day has become a bad one and we wonder around aimlessly wondering how the hell we will survive the night without a cheeky one. Sit along promenade at Gatewway of India where we are chatted up by Dom Joly look alike and white trouser man. Those smooth talkers tell us they have heard rumours of English girls who will go with anyone for a drink and a packet of fags!! We tell them we are not those sort of girls and spin them a yarn about our lives (bought up on a farm, engaged and Annie washes cars for a living!!) decided that making up stories about who we are becomes more entertaining than answering people with the same old boring stuff about who we are, where we come from etc . . .

Lost all hope of finding a beer as we take a seat at Leopolds for dinner but ask the waiter if maybe there is a chance of getting just the one. JACKPOT!!! He tells us we must follow him up the stairs and leads us to the Aladdins cave of alcohol where we give passport details to join the club - then finally we are poured a glass of their finest, cold Kingfisher. Happy days. Sit next to fellow Brit (of course - if there is beer to be sniffed out the Brits will do it) Tom who is very cool and shows us an amazing picture of a yogi he met in the hills who can wrap his penis around a pole - he's not even flinching! One beer leads to six and we end up hitting the dancefloor (Walkabout style) crazy dance steps and insane flirting by me with Indian waiter (about 50 with a fine moustache). I spend the night chasing him around trying to dance with him - poor guy was pertrified ; ) Leave Leopolds after a fab night and hope not to bump into anyone the next day - we were the only ones dancing and i do feel we will earn oursleves quite a reputation on our travels - those crazy drunken brits!

Back to Sally Army, chat to Osho dude (the sex stuff is defintely 100% true) and then climb up on top bunk for a restless nights sleep. It is hotting up here and the cold showers you get here are divine. Seeing the Dalai Lama today - hopefully.

Check you later xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tags: Misadventures

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.