Existing Member?

sophsossig general diary to keep all the folks at home upto date on our shenanigans in India!

Operation Bombay - Success!!

INDIA | Monday, 29 January 2007 | Views [841]

Hello everybody - feels like i have been away from internet forever but Matheran (our last destination) was a few steps away from civilisation and internet was hard to come by.

However I feel that I digress - there is just so much that has happened in the last few days. Got night bus to Pune (pronounced Poona - or locals laugh at you) it was the most bone shuddering ride of my life (imagine being in a blender and all your insides being mixed about!!). What is so funny is that when we booked the night bus in Goa we pointed at a poster on the wall of "deluxe non a/c recliners' and asked for those - what we got was nothing like it, imagine 'some like it hot' but grottier much grottier!! No bloody reclining chair it was upright or flat, wedged in bed made for small people!! Talk about false advertising!! Anyway made it to Pune after realising our Lonely Planet Bible had been left in party taxi the night before and just had no idea where to stay so got a train straight out of there to Matheran. A hill station that just sounded idylic.

Just have to sat Thank You to Sylvester for giving us the grandest goodbye from Arambol - wish we could have stayed for your party xxx

Pune was a strange place and people looked and laughed at us - what, what?? A young Indian guy seemed to appear from nowhere though and guided us through the train journey as he was going to Matheran too. Not before i had been adorned with spot in the middle of my head and an Indian flag on my shoulder - i am such an easy target!! Abujay was his name and he made our train ride a smooth one - although all other passengers on the train also helped to make us feel so welcome and comfortable. Sat in sleeper train with bunch of crazy ladies who know how to have a good time on a train - every tunnel caused an eruption of screams and inbetween they just sung and danced!! The kind girls offered us sweets and also took many picutres of us standing with each of them. You will never go hungry on an indian train - food, drink, game, magazine sellers continuely wander up and down. As do beggars - spinny hat boy, with drawn on moustache gets my 5 rupees!!

Arrive in Matheran and get taxi with Nigel Mansell wannabe up to top of hill station - scary ride! Pay to get in - just like National Park and soak up the peace and quiet - no traffic alowwed up here only horses. It feels like the Wild Wild West. Lug bags to centre and try to shake Abujay - there is helpful and then there is helpful!! Maybe its an Indian thing but me and Annie just want rid of him. Shake him off  and find that all rooms are expensive this wknd as it is Indian Republic day. After 20 hours travelling begin to feel a little pissed off and wish we could find cheap room or just magic ourselves back to Arambol. Finally stumble across Ashnok lodging and find room for 1000r a night (expensive but all food included and just don't give a damn anymore!) Turns out to be a hugely entertaining find - turns out the meditation group here follow Osho who is some kind of sex guru!! Only find this out on 2nd or 3rd night - before were wondering why they were so eager to get us to join meditation classes!! Meditation includes dancing, chanting, lectures etc. Crazy stuff have video evidence to show upon my return. Once we discover Osho followers basically beleive in group sex and are the equivalant of a swingers party back in the UK we have a right laugh imagining their true intentions of conversation etc. Sex convention leaves day before we do and we are upgraded to deluxe room - no more squatty toilet and giant spiders (Steve you would not cope!!) The Ashnok staff are fab and provide us with such good service and food. We have eaten like true Indians for the last few days - every meal is an instant colonic irrigation!! Chai and spicy food morning, noon and night.

Left Matheran to Mumbaii this morning on full alert as warned that handbags theives are everywhere - thankfully only loose a pair of Annies knickers on route. Stolen somewhere between Dadar and Neral - poor guys those skid marks are gonna be a bugger to remove!! The train journeys are quite an experience  - just bundle on and bundle off, watch out for poison dwarfs!!

Just a moment here to tell you how hospitable Indian people are - i am in complete awe of their kindness and helpfulness. I vow today to bring some of this back to Blighty with me - their hospitality could change the world! Our neighbours from Ashnok for example guide us on train to  Mumbaii and also buy us water and crisps for journey - and offer to have us at their home!! Where would this happen in England after just a moment of knowing one another!?!?! Spread the love back home guys to anyone who looks lost or bewildered (as we so often do!!) - cos god do we appreciate it here xxxx

Arrive Mumbaii and follow instructions to TOurist office, get rickshaw to Sally Army guest house and find ourselves in family room for price of double room (bonus) food is included and they have BBC!!! Loving Mumbaii already - am i saying this about every place?? Whatever it is true- venture out to Leopold diner for egg and chips and a beer and discover this place has got it going on. It feels like any European capital with an array of foriegners, bars, stalls, movie theatres - yet another side of India!!

Thats it for now folks - love hearing from you and also very excited cos may have volunteer placement set up for  Sri Lanka. Going to digest details tonight but sounds fab - biodviersity survey in Yala National Park where Leopards reign supreme. Not going to get tooexcited yet as need to check out prices and timing.  Love you all so much and miss you. Dylan, Robyn, Eli and Katy I think of you all the time xxxxx

Tags: Philosophy of travel

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.