Existing Member?

sophsossig general diary to keep all the folks at home upto date on our shenanigans in India!

Break-Dancing Tibetan Monks - Whatever Next?!?

INDIA | Monday, 22 January 2007 | Views [751]

Hello everybody - have spent over a week here in Goa now and just as I was getting bored of it we stumble across the punk scene here in Arambol (correct spelling at last!)!!

Still delicate from stomach upsets so have been taking it easy in the evenings - mint teas all round and early to bed but last night felt 110% so thought we would try and find the Reggae night which was being advertised all over Arambol.

Started off with dinner in our fav restaurant Siddhartha along the beach - we are probably their best customers at the moment. Just can't beat their cheap prices and exceptional service - these guys dress immacuately in trousers and shirt and are just so friendly and efficient!

Headed off down the beach to find Reggae but came across a jazz band in in one of the bars - place even had a dancefloor so of course we stopped. Was glad to finally listen to a band with ELECTRIC GUITARS!! 'rock and roll' and not bloody drums. Once the jazz band finished a SLash look alike took to the stage and they bashed out some crazy heavy metal tunes. I was beginning to really like this place and things only got better. The DJ had a tape of all the Sex Pistols greatest hits which me and Annie bopped around the dancefloor too - there is nothing like British music when you are along way from home.

Met more interesting people last night too - sleazy Israeli guys (hands to yourselves dudes!!), a former Tibetan monk and his younger brother who were just a pleasure to talk to. This guy was bought up as a monk after his mum had a dream that her son would be a boy and grow up to be a monk. He spoke of his Buddhism beliefs with such passion and conviction and I truly believe if I were to practice a religion it would be this one - it all just makes perfect sense!! He was just so funny too - he had been taught all the British slang by his English teachers and breakdancing moves too (check out piccies)

Finally bumped into a group of guys who have biked around India - some for over 12 years. Once again check out piccies!! Everyone here seems to have such an interesting story . . .

We leave Goa on Wednesday now - maybe its the true travelling spirit within us but we bth felt it was time to move on. Goa is fab but after a week here I am just itching to see more of the real India so we head to Pune in Maharastra Wed eve. Travelling overnight by bus and just can't wait to get there and explore! Local highlights there include a crater sight, many amazing caves with intricate carvings, a hill station which requires a 2hr toy train journey to reach and hopefully much more. Will also cross to Mumbai (Bombay) for 31st Jan to hopefully catch a glimpse of Dali Lama giving a public speech.

Off now to make the most of our time here - sunbathing, sunset swims and more drums i suppose!!

Oh and just to let u know guys the mirror, hairbands and first aid kit have been a godsend!! 

Tags: Relaxation

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.