Existing Member?

solbeam Equipped with backpack, blog and her sense of Wonder, a perpetual pilgrim wanders aimfully on....

Where Did You Get All The Money To Be Able To Travel?

USA | Tuesday, 18 October 2005 | Views [1606] | Comments [2]

This is the biggest complaint I hear; "I would travel…if only I had the money."

I pay for ALL my travel expenses.

Please don’t think for a second that I’m pracin’ around on Dad’s plastic. My parents “taught me the value of a dollar” by letting me pay my university tuition (at a private school no less). Not a chance they were about to finance my world stomp. I still have thousands of dollars in school loans yet to be paid back. (You CAN usually defer your school loans for up to three years.) Why am I telling you about my financial situation? Because I want to emphasize that anyone who REALLY wants to travel - can.

If you want something, you do what it takes to get it. I saved. I've chosen "travel" as my treat. I count my money in days spent abroad. I don't have a stereo in my car and I slept on a futon for the first six months that I lived in San Diego until I was handed down a bed. I'd simply rather spend that money on airfare, hostels or bread & cheese. I understand the tradeoffs and have made a choice. Anyone can travel if they want to. All it depends on, is how bad he or she really wants it.

And one of the biggest myths of travel is that it's expensive. A person can travel easily on $10-30 dollars a day abroad, if you're keen on bread and cool with dorm rooms. You won't be a "tourist"; You'll be a traveler. Your daily expenses (rent, food, clothing, entertainment) in The States surely amount to more than $30 dollars a day. (Please don't e-mail me and ask me to explain this further or tell me it's not possible *people often do*. It IS possible, but I really don't feel obligated to give proofs or find deals for people.) Check out my 27 Tips to Travel Cheaper.

But without a doubt, it is cheaper for me to live abroad, than in the States.

In addition to saving a lot and spending little, I always work while travelling abroad. Bartending, volunteering (in exchange for room), working as a divemaster, teaching English, working as a photographer, and guiding tour groups are all means that were not only gentle on the savings account, but also rewarding cultural experiences. When I first started working abroad, I didn’t have any experience and knew very little of the local language. All it takes is desire and initiative. You can search for jobs abroad online before you depart (I've found three jobs to date through GoAbroad.com), or just go door-knockin’ at all the bars and restaurants in town until you come up with something. And if you’re really looking, something ALWAYS turns up.

I currently work as a "Trip Leader" or "Experiential Education Guide" leading groups of college students on 3-month experiencial semesters abroad, for two BRILLIANT little organizations, called Where There Be Dragons and LeapNow. (I get teary-eyed just thinkin' about how much love I have for my "work.") I usually work one or two semesters a year and find some type of volunteer work (abroad) that pays for my board during my "downtime."

Tags: Budgets & money

Comments

1

Hi - we are considering sending our son on the central america LeapNow program. I am having a hard time finding "first hand" objective views on this program. Hope you can help - many thanks Ann

  Ann Smith Feb 25, 2006 10:26 AM

2

I would like to teach welding in asian countrys but don,t know how to get info. to get started

  phil.B Jul 5, 2006 8:59 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.