Existing Member?

No Worries 'Mas o Menos' 2 years on the road, travelling South East Asia, China, South & Central America and who knows where after that... Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dojo77/collections/

Singapore

SINGAPORE | Monday, 2 February 2009 | Views [1064] | Comments [2]


We arrived in Singapore and realised that neither of us had noted down the address of the hostel we had pre booked, so that one of us could pick up a replacement bank card. Thankfully Changi airport came to our rescue with it’s free internet terminals, I’ve always liked Singapore airport! After writing down the relevant details we caught the MRT, a fantastic, inexpensive, clean, efficient, well designed transport system. Although i understand the reasonings, i could have done without TVs on the trains and the platforms showing images of the Madrid, London & Mumbai bombings.

After arriving at our hostel in the Little India area of Singapore and extensively checking the connectivity of the 24 hour free WiFi in the room, we decided to head out for some dinner, and for something we hadn’t eaten since we left Australia, a curry! In searching for a restaurant it became very clear how quickly you become accustomed to your surroundings. In Indonesia if the pathway is blocked or more likely didn’t exist then you’d walk on the road, it shouldn’t work but everyone does and expects it so somehow it does, in Singapore however it doesn’t, we better get used to our new surroundings and fast!

We allowed 3 days to explore Singapore, which eventually turned into 4, mainly because i couldn’t drag myself away from the Wifi and i couldn’t drag Jo away from the shops and stalls of Orchard Road and Chinatown respectively. When i did finally manage to succeed we found the Funan Mall, a 6 story mall dedicated solely to IT, suddenly roles were reversed, not to be thwarted though it was still Jo that came away with the only purchase!

 

Along with all the shopping we have also managed to squeeze in some of Singapore's other attractions, colourful temples of contrast to those in Indonesia, museums, art houses, Raffles hotel and the Battle Box, where we were shown around by a strict sergeant major, who told us when and where we could go on the tour, he was highly amusing and when we found out the he used to serve in the Army everything made sense. He more than made up for the fact that the wireless headsets were sketchy at best and the commentary was therefore difficult to follow.

While here we’ve also started to try some of the fruit that we had seen in Indonesia but hadn’t wanted to barter for when we had no idea of the correct price. So now we have tried the delicious dragon fruit, both purple and white inners, starfruit and sour sop amongst others, there is after all only so much rice and noodles a person can eat.


On our last night we decided to head back into the heart of little India and have another curry while the opportunity presented itself, not knowing when good Indian food would next appear on our menu. Rather than have a ‘normal’ dish we both went for ‘thali’ a traditional dish, that should fulfill our cravings for the near future at least.


Another day, another country, we’re now in Melaka, Malaysia (although Malacca has a better ring to it). We can now cross ‘border crossing by bus’ off the list of things to do on the trip. Strange though it was, disembarking the bus to depart the island of Singapore and then being in no mans land for all of a causeway before stopping again at Malaysian customs to gain entry to our next destination.

Until next time

Ryan & Jo


http://www.flickr.com/photos/dojo77/collections/72157613332979582/

Tags: singapore

 

Comments

1

Keep on updating us on your trip. It brings back so many good memories ...

  Andrea Feb 5, 2009 11:11 PM

2

Hi Jo and Ryan
Keep the blog coming - its really interesting. I have only just noticed the RSS option........surely a Jo addition!! Have fun. Kerry

  Kerry Snelgrove Feb 9, 2009 3:05 PM

About ryanandjo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.