Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

Saturday 100607

SPAIN | Saturday, 6 October 2007 | Views [831] | Comments [2]

Day 15 Burgos

286 km finished and 490 km left

Yesterday Eva, Rosa, Africa, and I arrived in the late afternoon to the impressive looking cathedral in Burgos.  The last 3 hours of walking was tiring with walking through an industrial area and then into the outer parts of Burgos.  I was beginning to believe there was no old part of town and no cathedral because we kept walking and didn´t seem to be getting anywhere.  But we did make it and it was wonderful to rest in front of the cathedral and all it´s glory.  Today I will tour inside.

The last few days have been very nice.  Here is a recap:

Monday 100107 from Ventosa to Azofra. 14km

I walk for Amy and John and their new union as one.

Started with a nice sunrise and ended with rain.

Had a special evening with Urbano and Aldolfo teaching me how to play Escoba.  I had beginner´s luck and won.

Got rid of extra clothes to lighten my load.

Tuesday 100207 from Azofra to Granon 23km

I walk for Susanna since she wanted to come join me but ended up having job interviews. 

Made another special connection during the morning coffee break with Resos from Romania.  He was on bike and had three days to get to Santiago.  We had a nice chat.

Great small town and very warm hosts at the hostel.  Special connections were made here with other pilgrims also passing through.

Wednesday 100307 from Granon to Tosantos 19km

Today I walked for my former Al Hada students.

Had a rainy afternoon but the hostel in a traditional building was warm and inviting.  They made the evening meal for us and I couldn´t have asked for anything better - lentil stew.  It was a nice change of pace.

Thursday 10040 from Tosantos to San Juan de Ortega 21km

Today I walked for Resos since it was his birthday.  Did he make it to Santiago?

Stayed in this small town with population of 28 people.  I think they all work at the bar.  Attended the mass that night with the priest looking like a spanish Mr MaGoo.  Later he served us his special garlic soup.  It was a setting not to forget as we sat in a basement eating soup from enamal mugs as he told stories in Spanish.

Friday 100507 from San Juan to Burgos 26km

Today I walked in memory of my dad since it would have been his birthday on this day.

Sad to know today would be the last day I would be walking with my 3 Spanish friends.  We celebrated in style by having tapas and local wines.

The day was overcast.  We walked over hill and dale into small villages and with the low fog they looked enchanting.

Saturday 100607 Burgos

A day of REST.  Wanted to do laundry but this town is too big for me to walk around with my bag of clothes looking for a place.  Much easier to do it at the hostels.

TIME TO EAT MORE FOOD.  I have no diet here.  I eat what I can and want and when I can.  I have had hot chocolate, chorros, lots of bread, more bread, coffee, cookies, meat and more bread.  Time for coffee with a Dutch man who walked from Amsterdam - fascinating man.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hola Senorita Becky, Good to hear the tales of your adventure! Sounds like very interesting, though feet-tiring, progress along the Camino. Hope it is turning out to be all you wanted it to be and more. Am thinking about you and wishing you well on your trek. Great to read your updates :) What are skies like there? What colors do you see? May your pack and feet feel light- Amy

  Amy Oct 10, 2007 12:56 AM

2

The trip is more than I thought because I didn´t really know what to think. I like the sense of community on the trail and in the towns.

The colors here are soft hues and the clouds are the kinds artist would love to paint for their shape and color. Now I see lots of earth tones walking by endless fields. Been seeing storks too.

  Becky Oct 11, 2007 1:35 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.