Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

Monday 100107

SPAIN | Tuesday, 2 October 2007 | Views [698] | Comments [1]

Day 10 and I am in Azofra which luckily happens to be located in the Rioja region aka WINE country.  Spain has the largest vine coverage in the world and is the 3rd largest producer/exporter of wine.  This all adds up to cheap and good wine.  A very decent bottle, bottle not glass, of wine runs 2 euro.  Not a bad purchase to forgot about the aching feet.

Today I walked 16km from Ventosa and the last 2km was in rain.  It was a lovely walk among vineyards and one could easily stretch out an arm and pick a bunch of grapes the vineyards are that close to the trail.  We have done just that and have enjoyed the sweet, purple grapes.

While my blisters are getting better my feet continue to ache under the weight of the bag, hence, more unloading today of stuff I haven´t used or rarely used.  In hindsight I should have brought only a day pack to keep the weight to a minimum. 

Tonight I am in a municipal hostel but have a room with only 2 beds unlike other muni hostels where you can be sharing a space with 88-100 pilgrims.

Last night I was in a private one and it was lovely.  Smaller and in local/traditional buildings.  The keeper even made a fire last night which I loved.

Food had been mediocore.  Weather mostly pleasant.  Costs have been about 15-20 euros a day.

Let me know if you have any questions for me - please ask, it will give me something to do.

Highlight for the day: walking with 6 older, local ladies and me trying to make conversation with my spanish book.  I asked how many children do they have and they all said NONE.  I am sure they told me why but no comprende.

Adios

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

I'm so glad that your trip is wonderful so far. Even your pre-trips were great. And keep practicing your Espanol, we'll need it in June. I promise after the first of the year I'll start practicing also. For some reason I can't view your photos, so I'll see them when you return. Please keep sending me e-mails. I look VERY FORWARD to reading them.
We've been very busy. Last weekend camping at the Russian River. This weekend the Pacific Rim film festival and our annual big BBQ. Next week Steven's mom is visiting. The week after that off to Kansas City Missouri, then to LA for Steven's birthday. whew! I sure hope you meet loads of really interesting people on your trip bye from Jenay

  jenay katkowsky Oct 3, 2007 12:58 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.