Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

Monday 092407

SPAIN | Monday, 24 September 2007 | Views [554]

Hola, the sun is out and my clothes are being washed - life is good.  Here is what I have been doing.  I hope to be adding pictures next time.

Day 3 Pamploma 15km - a great place to spend the afternoon exploring all the narrow alleyways.  Most things are closed now until 4pm.  Waiting for wash to finish.  Excellent pilgrim albergue with clean facilities.  Nice to have finished the walk early today.  Been walking with a German fellow.  He leaves in 2 more days.  Having dinner tonight with a British couple.

Day 2 Larrasoana 27km - a long day with sore feet and sore shoulders.  Small town but quaint with limited services.  The pilgrim albergue was more like a leper hospital with loads of bunks beds on each floor.  Sleeping at night is like sleeping in an animal´s den with lots of strange snoring noises - I blame it on the men.  It is 70% men to 30% women so far.  Nice scenery so far.

Day 1 Roncesvalles 25km - a LONG day in heavy mist.  I felt cheated and robbed of the dramatic views hidden behind the mist but learned to appreciate what was in front of my face; wild flowers, cows, horses, monuments, the mist, etc  Everyone was soaked to the bone arriving to this small hamlet.  Very gothic church.  Attended pilgrim's mass and dinner was ready at 8pm.

The start - St Jean Pier de Port - nice walled in city in the Pyrenes.  Excellent pilgrim albergue with great people.  It was the perfect place to start the journey.

Lourdes - candle light procession is a sight to behold!  THe church is amazing.  If you like to see candles, then this is the place. 

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.