Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

June 3

OMAN | Thursday, 7 June 2012 | Views [475]

 

Had a wonderful afternoon yesterday with doing some qi gong, then going to the club to swim and reading and being outside.  I decided from the small club I would walk home along the water, about an hour's walk, but didn’t get too far.  As I was passing a small boy with a stick in his hand, I thought to myself, “looks like this little twerp wants to hit something and it could be me”, I thought I better take the less threatening approach and said, “Hello, how are you?”  He looked at me with a mischevious smile and then looked at his mom and to my surprise I heard the mom say, “Is that Rebecca?”  I was shocked thinking who could this be?  She was covered so I did not see her face.

Turned out it was a lady who comes to visit the school to check on ministry work and has visited me there on several occasions.  Good thing I refrained from scolding the boy with the stick.  Still with a big smile on his face he asked his mom if I could go home with them.  She translated the invitation and with me having more free time these days I said yes.

We went to the grandma’s house and sat and watched a popular Turkish soap opera that seems to have engulfed the young and old to watch religiously, while we chatted and watched the kids which by now there are 4 young granddaughters running around in addition to the 3 kids of my friend.  My friend has two boys, 4 and 7, and a young girl about 1 year and 4 months.  The 4 year old with the stick is the wild one of the bunch yet he comes to cuddle with his mom and clings to her as she walks.  He throws things, hits, and  does not play gently at all.  The 7 years old is calmer but still a 7 year old.  He had is head shaved recently because he cut off some hair of his little sister.  My friend says she has to hide the knives because he would throw them.  The dad is not interested in child rearing and she says he leaves the house.  It is the grandmother only that shows  control over this wild one.  She is not afraid to use the camel stick and I observed this on the way out when things were getting a bit loud for me.  The poor grandma has suffered a heart attack this year and has to be in the midst of this chaos.  The domestic help, a young Filipino, is also in this sea of turmoil with no relief in sight.

After the climax of hits, yells, screams and wailing, I said it was time for me to go.  I could tell my friend felt bad saying I should stay for a meal but it was getting late and the kids were horrid, she insisted on getting me a fresh juice and a chicken stuffed sandwich in pizza dough to take home to eat.  Both were delicious.  Despite the madness with the kids, I can recall episodes in my own childhood that must have drove my parents crazy too, I will visit with my friend again.  She is kind and sweet and it is nice to form bonds with some locals to feel a part of the community.

 

 

Travel Answers about Oman

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.