Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

Thursday, May 3

USA | Thursday, 3 May 2012 | Views [484]

Sur  41 C  (What is that in F you may wonder?  Hot)

The weekend is here and a day to pause and get caught up on a few things on the computer.  I have been up with the sun cooking mung beans, hard boiling eggs and sucking on dates.  A bad habit I think with all the sugars but I do brush my teeth after.  I am glad to have found a store last night that sells loose dates.  For some reason here they mainly sell dates that are all smashed together and oozing date syrup.  Very sticky and sweet and not something you want to eat while typing at the computer.  My original supply of loose dates was coming from the Khimji's markets but recently they have not had the small 500 g green bag I would buy for $2.26.  I was going through date withdrawals and sometimes had to buy the expensive dates from UAE for over $5 for maybe a quarter kilo so you can image my joy when I found these loose dates for a good price per kilo ($2.07) and they are from Saudi.  With the kilo I bought, that should last me a few weeks.

 

Today marks 2 months until my flight to Boston.  How wonderful it will be to see color, to see trees, to see flowers, to splash around in cold ocean water, to be with mom, relatives and friends while in CT, and to be on a bike.  I dream of cottage cheese, kale, a cold beer sitting at the Dog Watch http://www.dogwatchcafe.com/ , an ice cream cone from Mystic Drawbridge Ice Cream http://www.mysticdrawbridgeicecream.com/ where they have been making ice cream from this spot since the early 1800’s, speedy internet, libraries, hang out at the Velvet Mill Studios  http://www.velvetmillstudios.com/ with artist friends, eating Greek style pizza, morning coffee at the Yellow House, the quintessential All American 4th of July parade in the Boro, the Saturday Farmer’s Market, and hopefully a bike ride along the RI coast in Watch Hill, oh, and maybe Fire Water in Providence, RI (oops, none for the start of July) and this is only for CT.  I still have stops to make in Denver and Seattle where there are still more things to see and do.

 

Until then, I will mostly dream of sleeping under blankets at my sister and brother-in-law’s place in Silverdale, WA where it is always cold.

 

Time for me to get back taking past IGCSE exams my 10th graders will take on Sat as mock exams to get them ready for their real exams in May. And, I better go drink a gallon of water to stay hydrated.

Don’t forgot to click on the Photos link to see pictures.

Last thing, I will end with a quote I read last weekend that made me think of what I really want to do rather than classroom management of immature students. 

The woman who can create her own job is the woman who will win fame and fortune.  

-          Amelia Earhart

More good quotes at   http://www.ameliaearhart.com/about/quotes.html

 

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.