Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

March 21 - Otres Beach, Cambodia

CAMBODIA | Monday, 21 March 2011 | Views [505]

Exited Kampot today for the beaches of Sihanouk Ville.  While Kampot was OK, I never did find the charm, I thought to go to the sea to spend my last few days before wrapping up my 3 month tour.  I pleased to report the beach I am staying at, Otres Beach, is clean, has decent accommodations (I am paying $15 for a room with a fan and a bathroom with 2 beds - to turn the AC on costs more but with the power going off and on randomly, the fan will be fine) and has a long stretch of sandy beach to walk on.  I just finished watching a beautiful sunset while sipping on a coconut.  Yes, I think the next few days will be fine here.

I did have a nice encounter with a monk yesterday afternoon in Kampot.  We went to his pagoda to talk English.  We stood for an hour talking and then he has to go to a ceremony across the road that had music blaring.  As I left it was playing, rather loudly, "it is time to change your evil ways, baby".  The bike ride back was through a pleasant village where huge baskets are made and stored. Then I got on an old railway bed made into a trail and that was fabulous (rails to trails here too).  The sun was setting and in a way I was sorry I decided to leave Kampot so quickly.  But, after sleeping with ants and in a pool of sweat for the 2nd night in a row, I was glad to be moving on.

For now, I will enjoy swimming in the sea and the walking along the beach.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.