Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

Wed - Sunday

SPAIN | Sunday, 14 October 2007 | Views [1323] | Comments [2]

Here is a recap from Wed Oct 10 to Sunday Oct 14

Wed Oct 10 to Terradillos 26.5 km

Today I walked for Uwe the German man I walked the first 5 days with.  I knew he would still like to be on the camino.

The hostel was very nice with only 6 beds to a room and there were only 3 of us girls in it.  I loved the eating area with fireplace and farming equipment on the walls.  A huge husky lived there too.

Thr Oct 11 to Bercianos del Real Camino 30 km

Today I walked for Derren remembering our morning coffees and maple scones at Starbucks and swapping stories on our dream jobs.  By the way, I have not seen a single Starbucks yet in Spain.

A beautiful fall day for a "Sunday" walk.  The path was flat, in the country along side a tree lined road and under a never ending blue sky.  The village was very small surrounded by fields.  Think rural Iowa or South Dakota.  THe town is so small the priest has about 8 villages to cover and he showed up for the 7pm service at 7:05pm and had to prepare and dress in front of the parishioners.  The locals very friendly.  I stayed up until 10pm talking with the hosts, one American the other Spanish, and they contributed to my blanket I am knitting and also said I should come back and be a host at the hostel.  That was very kind of them to say so.  I will think about it. 

Friday Oct 12 to Mansilla de las Mulas 26km

Today I walked for Mark D since it is his birthday - a day early as it turns out.  Mark, thanks for all the fireside chats we had over the pass holiday seasons.

Once again I had to say good-bye to Africa my Spanish friend.  The blisters on the bottom of her feet won out but only by a day.  She had to end anyways to get back to Madrid for work.  Now I have a reason to go to Madrid in Nov to see her and to go to Toledo for marizpan.  Bye Africa, I will miss you on the camino.

As I left Africa and made my way back on to the endless treelined street, I saw a pilgrim ahead, one I didn´t recognize, and thought him odd with him wearing a witch´s hat.  No one and nothing else was in sight but him.  As I passed I said a cheery hello in Spanish and asked how he was in Spanish and thought that would be the end of the conversation as I walked by.  Nope, it did not end there but 5 hours later as we talked and gestured into the blue sky.  We mostly understood one another and just had fun.  He is a Dr and has walked the camino many times.  A special encounter.

That evening I had a wonderful time getting to know a German lady, Simone.  We had happy hour outside by a church and then went to have dinner.  She also was happy to be reunited with knitting.

Sat Oct 13 to Leon 18.5km

Today I walk for me.  I had the morning to myself and random thoughts came my way.  What is the difference between discomfort and pain.  Was I in pain with my feet or just discomfort?  What is best for walking - boots, shoes, crocs, flip flops, barefoot, hooves, or stay home?  I am still out to lunch on that one.

By 1pm I was walking into Leon under another endless blue sky.  The old city is charming with many important buildings.  The cathedral is a true cathedral and not a museum like the one in Burgos.  The stain glassed windows are overpowering.  It is a must see.  If I had a million dollars I would have stayed at the San Marcos hotel.  An old palace type place. 

It was also nice to be eating non pilgrim food.  I had a doner kebab sandwich.

Sunday Oct 14 to Villadangos del Paramo 21.5 km

Today I walked for Jenay for her spirit for life, for food, for people, for cultures, for art, and for adventure.  We have one coming up in June to Equador.

Another blue sky but this walk was along side a road.  I started during the alternate one in the country but got off the trail and ended up back by the road.  I think it was meant to be so I could be typing all of this.  The blisters on the little toes don´t hurt as much but now I am getting cracks on the bottom of my toes.  Woe is me.  I am resting them now.

Please add your comments and ask questions so I can comment back.

Adios

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Greetings Becky!

This trip sounds incredible! I admire your nomadic spirit... I wish I would have joined you in September (I ended up in Bremen and London). This morning, I had a latte and a maple scone in your honor. Take care of your feet, and sleep with your legs slightly elevated if you can (this helps tremendously on long excursions, as does Advil).

Derren

  Derren Duburguet Oct 16, 2007 3:17 AM

2

Thanks for the tip Derren and hope you enjoyed the maple scone. I do try to take the time to soak my feet and to massage them with lotion. They are better these days but the mountains loom ahead. The next two days will be up and down and will read 1517km - the highest part of the French camino.

Time for more vino tinto.

  Becky Oct 17, 2007 2:52 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.