Existing Member?

Living Outside the Box What is freedom for if not the chance to define for yourself who you are?

Arrival to Phnom Penh

CAMBODIA | Friday, 21 June 2013 | Views [325]

Yesterday was Muscat - Doha - HCMC - Phnom Penh.  About 10 hours of flight time.  The afternoon rains were trailing off and the rush hour was building.  I was glad to have a taxi from the guest house pick me up.  He was there waiting and knew where to go and ended up taking side streets to avoid the traffic.  The busy side streets with vendors selling street food, cafes, motorbikes everywhere, and swarms of people passed before my eyes with it all feeling famailar I was happy to be back.

My visa is good for a month and I guess I will be back in PP to get it extended.

Tomorrow I head to Kep to settle in down there.  Until then I will continue to walk around practicing the few words I learned in Khmer.  I need to learn the word for rice because today at lunch I ordered soup and pointed to a bowl of rice a man had at his table.  Of course, they brought me the dish he ordered but I gestured rice only and no to the other dish - I should have used the words I learned but forgot I had them with me.  The young baffled waiter came back with the dish I did not want in to parcel to take away.  I said no again and I think he got it.

Back to walking and relaxing at the Aram guesthouse.  There is a lovely upper deck that is open on the sides with lots of plants around and two kittens.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.